Half-Speed Remastered! Only 500 Copies!
Let's be honest French chill-out masters Air were never going to have any trouble blending a sophisticated mix of mood-enhancing rock and pop for the soul. Opening with "All Cats Are Grey" by The Cure (from the start of their dark Trilogy - Faith: nothing like starting as you mean to go on), it soon swoops into even trippier territory with "Planet Caravan" by Black Sabbath (from their 1970 album Paranoid) and into Nino Rota's ultra-eery "O Venezia, Venaga, Venusia" (from the original soundtrack to '76 art-house classic 'Il Casanova di Fellini). Slowly but surely it takes in tracks from The Band, Japan, Scott Walker and Lee Hazlewood. As melancholic as it is after-dark dreamy, you can rest assured that there's no JLS in the mix here.
Late Night Tales and its predecessor Another Late Night are the names of two related series of artist-curated compilation albums released since 2001 on the UK independent record label Night Time Stories Ltd. Both series were started by the author A.W. Wilde. The tracks on the albums are selected and mixed by a diverse selection of artists asked by Late Night Tales to create the ultimate late night mix.
"Air have taken the 'Late Night' part of the title very seriously, making for an incredibly functional, utilitarian mix. Only a very few tracks here have anything approaching a conventional drum kit, and a good portion of the set consists of moody film-score work and orchestral pieces: These songs are matched up on their slow movement and their spare, deliberate sound. The result is uniformly pensive and weighty, painted in deep, dark colors-- a mix for the deadest hours of night. And since Air have always been pop songwriters more than any kind of 'electronic' act, they manage to offer a terrific picture of the music that informs their own recordings... Which means this disc is surprising, satisfying, and most of all very, very functional. The trouble with most home-listening mixes, here in the Age of the Playlist, is that you could quite easily throw together a bunch of songs you liked on your own. Air are smart enough to specialize-- to do a mix for an exact mood, an exact time of night, the kind of deep and deliberate music that sounds right when everything else seems too loud, too much. You could try to piece something similar together from your mp3 collection, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be half as good-- and besides, you'd have already heard it all." - Pitchfork
• Limited Edition - Only 500 Copies
• 180g Virgin Vinyl
• Half-speed remastered for optimum audiophile reproduction
• Bonus exclusive limited time download code to Air's classic "LateNightTales" 2006 mix as well as unmixed track versions in FLAC, WAV & MP3 formats
1. The Cure - All Cats Are Grey
2. Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan
3. Nino Rota - O' Venezia Venaga Venusia
4. The Band - I Shall Be Released
1. Georges Delerue - Camille
2. Japan - Ghosts
3. Scott Walker - The Old Man's Back Again
4. Jeff Alexander - Come Wander With Me
5. Cat Power - Metal Heart
1. Minnie Riperton - Lovin' You
2. Tan Dun - For The World
3. Sebastien Tellier - Le Long De La Riviere Tendre
4. Lee Hazlewood - My Autumn's Done Come
1. Robert Wyatt - P.L.A.
2. Elliott Smith - Let's Get Lost
3. The Troggs - Cousin Jane
4. AIR / Alessandro Baricco - Musica
5. The Cleveland Orchestra - Ravel: Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte