In celebration of its 10-year anniversary, Resonance is launching a series of compilations culled from its vast catalog highlighting both living artists as well as jazz greats of the past. The artwork for the titles in the series is by Takao Fujioka, the acclaimed Japanese artist who is also the chief editor of Way Out West magazine in Japan. Takao's unique and striking artwork has graced countless album covers, including Resonance's 2016 Stan Getz release Moments in Time.
Smile With Your Heart: The Best of Bill Evans on Resonance brings together standout tracks from the company's four sets of hitherto unheard material by the lyrical keyboard master: Live at Art D'Lugoff's Top of the Gate (2012); Some Other Time: The Lost Session from the Black Forest (2016); Another Time: The Hilversum Concert (2017); and Evans in England (2019). Evans in England was issued for the first time as a limited edition two-LP set on Record Store Day 2019, and 3 tracks from the album appear on Smile With Your Heart.
Evans' Some Other Time, a stunning Dutch radio date featuring a short-lived trio with bassist Eddie Gomez and drummer Jack DeJohnette, was named one of the year's top historical releases by DownBeat, JazzTimes, the U.K.'s Jazzwise, and the NPR Music Jazz Critics Poll and topped Billboard's Jazz Albums chart.
In his liner notes to Smile With Your Heart, Bill Evans' son Evan Evans writes, "The lovely work that Zev Feldman, George Klabin and everyone at Resonance Records have done in finding these treasure troves of beauty from my father's legacy is beyond words Resonance has accomplished something very admirable with this release; they've created a compilation album with its own soul and authenticity. It's as tender and divine as it is brilliant and swinging."
- 180g Vinyl
- First ever Bill Evans compilation from Resonance Records
- 12 tracks from the 4 official Bill Evans albums in the Resonance catalog
- Over 60 minutes of music
- Mastered by Bernie Grundman
- Pressed at RTI
- Cover art designed by acclaimed Japanese artist Takao Fujioka, chief editor of Way Out West magazine in Japan
- Made in USA
- Someday My Prince Will Come (from Live At Art D'Lugoff's Top Of The Gate)
- Yesterdays (Version 1) (from Live At Art D'Lugoff's Top Of The Gate)
- Mother Of Earl (from Live At Art D'Lugoff's Top Of The Gate)
- You're Gonna Hear From Me (from Some Other Time: The Lost Session From The Black Forest)
- Baubles, Bangles And Beads (Trio) (from Some Other Time: The Lost Session From The Black Forest)
- My Funny Valentine (from Some Other Time: The Lost Session From The Black Forest)
- Turn Out The Stars (from Another Time: The Hilversum Concert)
- Nardis (from Another Time: The Hilversum Concert)
- Very Early (from Another Time: The Hilversum Concert)
- Polka Dots And Moonbeams (from Evans In England: Live At Ronnie Scott's)
- Re: Person I Knew (from Evans In England: Live At Ronnie Scott's)
- Waltz For Debby (from Evans In England: Live At Ronnie Scott's)