Limited Edition 200 Gram LP! Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!
Mastered by Kevin Gray & Cut from the Original Stereo 100% Analog Master Tapes!
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
"...the band's energy is clearly and dynamically captured, with a decent sense of air and focus. Kevin Gray did the mastering of this excellent QRP platter, so the quality of this welcome reissue is as good as it gets." - Wayne Garcia, The Absolute Sound Buyer's Guide 2016, Music 4/5, Sonics 3.5/5 Read The Full Review Here!
Part of the ultimate audiophile Prestige stereo reissues from Analogue Productions 25 of the most collectible, rarest, most audiophile-sounding Rudy Van Gelder recordings ever made. All mastered from the original analog master tapes by mastering maestro Kevin Gray. 200-gram LPs pressed at state-of -the-art plant Quality Record Pressings and plated by Gary Salstrom. Deep groove label pressings, tip-on jackets on thick cardboard stock.
Booker Ervin's recordings with Charles Mingus and Randy Weston brought him good reviews and a bit of notoriety. But it was his series of Song Books for Prestige Records that broadcast the stentorian announcement that a jazz orator of gigantic stature had arrived. Ervin's tenor saxophone sound was haunted by the loneliness and spaciousness of the Texas plains where he was raised. The Southwest moan was an integral part of his playing. But his style went beyond the classic Texas tenor tradition to incorporate the intricacies of bebop and suggestions of the free jazz that was initiating one of the periods of self-renewal that keeps jazz fresh and interesting. The Freedom Book, recorded at the end of 1963, was one of Ervin's masterpieces. He is abetted by the power and drive of Jaki Byard, Richard Davis, and Alan Dawson.
• 200g Vinyl LP
• Limited Edition, Less Than 1000 Records per stamper, released in limited quantities
• The Original 100% Analog Master Tapes were used working with only the Best Mastering Studios!
• Mastered by Kevin Gray & Plated by Gary Salstrom
• Plated and Pressed at Quality Record Pressings on Virgin Vinyl
• Meticulous Test Pressing Evaluation and Quality Control
• Deluxe Packaging using the highest quality jackets and rice paper inner sleeves
• Officially Licensed & Authorized for release by the Record Label
Booker Ervin, tenor sax
Jaki Byard, piano
Richard Davis, bass
Alan Dawson, drums
1. A Lunar Tune
2. Cry Me Not
3. Grant's Stand
4. A Day To Mourn
5. Al's In