Holiday Musical Treasures - Newly Imagined
Eric Holtan, founder and conductor of True Concord Voices and Orchestra states: "Every December, True Concord presents its popular Lessons and Carols by Candlelight concerts in the Tucson area. Unique in the local milieu of seasonal offerings, the focus is on sacred Christmas carols. Even in their simplest form, carols evoke emotionally powerful memories of personal and family experiences that enrich and enliven annual holiday celebrations. With this album, I wanted to capture the essence of our muchloved concerts with the mostly familiar carols presented here, but in musical settings by American composers that are new or not widely known. With the kind assistance of advisor Dale Warland -- who set the standard of excellence with several cherished Christmas recordings over the years by The Dale Warland Singers -- True Concord offers these holiday treasures, most of which are receiving their world premiere recordings. This is Christmas With True Concord -- Carols in the American Voice."
Founded in 2004, Tucson, Arizona-based True Concord made its New York City debut at Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall in September 2015 with Mozart's Requiem and Stephen Paulus's Prayers and Remembrances. That same year, True Concord made its internationally-distributed debut album on Reference Recordings, Far in the Heavens: Choral Music of Stephen Paulus, for which it received a GRAMMY® nomination for Best Choral Performance, and for which Stephen Paulus won posthumously the GRAMMY® for Best Classical Contemporary Composition. Reference Recordings is proud to present True Concord's second album, Christmas With True Concord -- Carols in the American Voice, recorded in outstanding fidelity, and produced by GRAMMY®award winner Peter Rutenberg of Los Angeles.
"I haven't heard a new Christmas choral album as lovely as this in years. A gorgeous blend of voices, exquisite phrasing, and track after track of good cheer."
- Total Time: 60:47
|True Concord Voices & Orchestra|
- On Christmas Night (The Sussex Carol) | Trad. English, arr. Gerald Near
- Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming | Praetorius, ed. Alice Parker and Robert Shaw
- A Somerset Carol | Trad. English, arr. Dale Warland
- Away In A Manger | William J. Kirkpatrick, arr. Mack Wilberg
- Go, Tell It On The Mountain | Spiritual, harm. J.W. Work, arr. Stacey V. Gibbs
- Joseph Dearest, Joseph Mine | Trad. German, arr. Peter Rutenberg
- Cradle Song | Trad. Welsh, arr. Gerald Near
- Wexford Carol | Trad. Irish, arr. Mack Wilberg
- O Come, Divine Messiah! | Trad. French, arr. Howard Helvey
- Silent Night | Franz Gruber, arr. Stephen Paulus
- Sing We Now Of Christmas | Trad. French, arr. Fred Prentice, acc. Carol Barnett
- Fourteen Angels | Jeffrey Van
- Ding Dong! Merrily On High | Trad. French, arr. C. Wood, descant P. Rutenberg
- One Gift | Glenn L. Rudolph
- Infant Holy, Infant Lowly | Trad. Polish, arr. Matthew Culloton
- Love Came Down At Christmas | Howard Helvey
- Midnight Clear | Russell Schulz-Widmar