Limited Edition - 700 Copies!
Red & Blue Starburst Vinyl LP!
First-Time U.S. LP Reissue!
One of the great Blaxploitation film scores of the 70s is finally back on vinyl where it belongs! This 1973 feature introduced one of the great characters in the whole genre, starring the indomitable, six-foot-two Tamara Dobson as Cleopatra Jones, a taller, hipper, and blacker James Bond. In this film, she thwarts a lesbian L.A. drug lord as played by Shelley Winters, all accompanied by the musical efforts of what is pretty much a 70s soul/jazz/funk dream team. On vocals, you had the leading male and female lights of the Spring label, the great Joe Simon (performing the hit title theme) and Millie Jackson. And on the instrumental side, jazz trombone giant J. J. Johnson (in collaboration with the underrated Carl Brandt of Mod Squad score fame). The result: a prime example of the symphonic funk that became the siren song for Blaxploitation soundtracks throughout the 70s. For its first domestic vinyl reissue, Real Gone Music has pressed up just 700 copies on red and blue starburst vinyl, with original artwork intact oh so tasty!
• Limited Edition - 700 Copies
• Red & Blue Starburst Vinyl
• First-time U.S. LP Reissue
• Gatefold jacket
• Original music composed and conducted by J.J. Johnson
• Additional music by Carl Brandt and Brad Shapiro
1. Theme From Cleopatra Jones - sung by Joe Simon
2. The Wrecking Yard
3. Love Doctor - sung by Millie Jackson
4. Airport Flight
6. Desert Sunrise / Main Title Instrumental
1. It Hurts So Good - sung by Millie Jackson
2. Goin' To The Chase
3. Go Chase Cleo
4. Cleo And Reuben
5. Wrap Up
6. Theme From Cleopatra Jones / Instrumental