An international success! Listeners and reviewers, who never imagined listening to Chinese Opera and LIKING it, are captivated by these sensitive, colorful orchestrations. Meng Qing Hua's arrangements are brought to life by some of China's greatest living instrumental virtuosos artists who know the music in its original form and who through their artistry can convey the nuance of every (unsung) word making new friends for Chinese opera around the globe.
Traditionalists may object that such an approach to Chinese opera dilutes its "purity", that Chinese Opera without SINGING is not Chinese Opera. Or that western instruments are incapable to accurately expressing the nuance of Chinese music. For those listeners, there will always be the recordings and films of Mei Lanfang, Yan Huizhu, Ma Lianliang, but for those listeners wishing to penetrate the "mysteries" of Chinese opera, not merely as an historic artifact but as a living tradition, Dreams Of A Chinese Opera II is the perfect invitation. If Bach can be played on the Guzheng, than certainly the beauty and immortal qualities of Chinese Opera can withstand the addition of a few western instruments!
- 180g Vinyl LP
- Gatefold jacket with silver foil stamped text
- Kunqu Opera: A Jade Hairpin
- Ji Opera: Tao Li Mei / Ginseng Girl
- Zhejiang Yue Opera: The Butterfly Lovers
- Peking Opera: Farewell My Concubine / Sanjiadian
- Huagu Opera: Woodcutter Liuhai
- Huangmei Opera: The Cowherd And The Weaving Maid
- Lu Opera: Lady General Mu Takes Command
- Chao Opera: Su Liuniang
- Cantonese Opera: The Princess Chang Ping