Sir John Barbirolli conducts Jacqueline du Pré and the London Symphony Orchestra, the Philharmonia Orchestra and the New Philharmonia Orchestra in works by Sir Edward Elgar.
Please Note: The cover photo shows the title of "Sea Pictures", which is not included in the album because it is one of the first LPs to include the song "Cello Concerto". Please be aware of this.
Classical masterpiece collection
The reissue of classical music masterpieces by ESOTERIC has attracted a lot of attention, both for its uncompromising commitment to recreating the original master sound, and for using hybrid Super Audio CD technology to improve sound quality. This series marks the first hybrid Super Audio CD release of historical recording selections that have been mainstays of the catalog since their initial release. These new audio versions feature ESOTERIC's proprietary re-mastering process to achieve the highest level of sound quality.
Experience by yourself...
Experience the legendary performance in this new Super Audio CD/CD format. Not only for new followers, but also for well experienced followers of these recorded materials. All will be equally impressed by the "soul" hidden within the notes, but never before found in previously released recordings in any format.
Producer: Motoaki Ohmachi (ESOTERIC COMPANY)
Mastering Engineer: Masaya Touno (ESOTERIC COMPANY)
Technical Manager: Tetsuya Kato (ESOTERIC COMPANY)
ESOTERIC equipment used for re-mastering
The criterion of re-mastering is to faithfully capture the quality of the original master. ESOTERIC's flag ship D/A converters, model Grandioso D1X, Master clock generator model Grandioso G1X and ESOTERIC MEXCEL interconnect cables and power cords, were all used for this re-mastering session. This combination of highly advanced technology greatly contributed to capturing the high quality sound of the original master.
- Limited Edition - One Time Pressing
- Super Audio CD
- SACD Stereo SACD Layer
- This Hybrid SACD contains a 'Red Book' Stereo CD Layer which is playable on most conventional CD Players!
- DSD Mastering
- Does not include "Sea Pictures"
- Deluxe digipack packaging
- Made in Japan
|Jacqueline du Pré||cello|
|London Symphony Orchestra|
|New Philharmonia Orchestra|
|Sir John Barbirolli||conductor|
Sir Edward Elgar (1857-1934)
Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85
- Adagio - Moderato
- Lento - Allegro molto
- Allegro - Moderato - Allegro ma non troppo
Variations on an Original Theme, Op. 36 "Enigma"
- Introduction - Variation I. L'istesso tempo "C.A.E."
- Variation II. Allegro "H.D.S-P."
- Variation III. Allegretto "R.B.T."
- Variation IV. Allegro di molto "W.M.B."
- Variation V. Moderato "R.P.A."
- Variation VI. Andantino "Ysobel"
- Variation VII. Presto "Troyte"
- Variation VIII. Allegretto "W.N."
- Variation IX. Adagio "Nimrod"
- Variation X. Intermezzo. Allegretto "Dorabella"
- Variation XI. Allegro di molto "G.R.S."
- Variation XII. Andante "B.G.N."
- Variation XIII. Romanza. Moderato. "* * *"
- Variation XIV. Finale. Allegro "E.D.U."
Pomp and Circumstance Marches, Op. 39
- No. 1 in D major
- No. 2 in A minor
- No. 4 in G major
Recorded: 19 August 1965 [Op. 85], 9 May & 27 August 1962 [Op. 36, Op. 39 Nos. 1 & 4], 14 July 1966 [Op. 39 No. 2]; Kingsway Hall, London