TAS Rated 4/5 Music, 4/5 Sonics in the September 2021 Issue of The Absolute Sound!
Assembly showcases carefully curated singles, fan favorites, and archival rarities from the Joe Strummer solo catalog. This 16-track compilation features three previously unreleased versions of classic Clash tracks, including the never-before-heard "Junco Partner (Acoustic)" and electrifying live performances of "Rudie Can't Fail" and "I Fought The Law", the latter two of which were recorded by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros at London's Brixton Academy on November 24, 2001.
George Harrison's passion for introducing the world to new music expressed itself in May of 1974 when he created his own new label - Dark Horse Records. The label contained a variety of talented artists on its roster, including George himself. Assembly marks the first new Joe Strummer title released via the newly relaunched Dark Horse Records.
Album comes on 180g double vinyl in Gatefold Sleeve. All tracks remastered by Grammy Award Winner Paul Hicks (The Beatles/George Harrison/ The Rolling Stones/John Lennon). Package includes new written foreword by Jakob Dylan.
The new compilation Assembly adroitly selects high-water marks from Strummer's solo career while never quite ameliorating the 'what if' questions that haunt the Clash's legacy... He never once showed signs of flagging, or slowing down. It's a shame he didn't have longer.
The compilation is a thoughtful assembly of highlights of Strummer's work with his backing band the Mescaleros. One of Strummer's best songs, the upbeat 'Coma Girl,' opens the record, followed by a reflective and Strummer-style socially engaged 'Johnny Appleseed.' Then comes a dynamite live version of 'I Fought the Law,' which the Clash famously covered. Other nods to the Clash repertoire are included (a live version of 'Rudie Can't Fail' and an acoustic 'Junco Partner'). However, most of the record showcases Strummer's utopian, purposeful, complex solo work, which draws from a variety of styles (rockabilly, reggae, soul, hip-hop, ska) and was unfortunately cut short by his sudden death of a heart condition in 2002. True to form, the imagery on the front and back cover of Assembly does an excellent job of complementing such memorable music.
- 180g Vinyl
- Double LP
- All tracks remastered by Paul Hicks
- Previously unreleased acoustic version of "Junco Partner"
- Exclusive live versions of "I Fought The Law" & "Rudie Can't Fail"
- Gatefold sleeve
- New written foreword by Jakob Dylan
- Coma Girl - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Johnny Appleseed - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- I Fought The Law (Live) - Previously Unreleased
- Tony Adams - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Love Kills
- Get Down Moses - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- X-ray Style - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Mondo Bongo - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Rudie Can't Fail (Live) - Previously Unreleased
- At The Border, Guy - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Long Shadow - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Forbidden City - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Yalla Yalla - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Redemption Song - By Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
- Junco Partner (Acoustic) - Previously Unreleased