Marianne Faithfull and Warren Ellis team up in a unique way to rediscover some of the 19th century's great poems (Lord Byron, John Keats, Percy Bysshe Shelley and many more). They reinvent the "spoken word" record and remind us what is beautiful in the world we are living in at the moment, and what we could lose. Beautiful and useful...
With special participations of Nick Cave, Brian Eno, and Vincent Segal.
On She Walks in Beauty, Faithfull more than rises to the occasion. Her experience as an actress serves her as well as her career as a singer, and her readings speak of a subtle but evident passion and a deep understanding and love of these verses. This is not the work of a celebrity dilettante, but a songwriter who knows a lot about the nexus between words and music, and she reveals a keen understanding of the rhythm of these poems, as well as knowing where to put the emphasis to bring out the emotions captured in the words. Faithfull's voice bears the textures of a life lived boldly, and the lessons life has taught her can be heard in the finished product...She Walks in Beauty is a loving testimony to the power and lasting vigor of the Romantic poets, and also a reminder of how lucky we are to have an artist as gifted as Marianne Faithfull giving us this remarkable tutorial.
- 180g Vinyl
- Double LP
- Gatefold Sleeve
- Inner Sleeves
- 4-Page Leaflet
- Manufactured in Germany
- She Walks In Beauty (Lord Byron)
- The Bridge Of Sighs (Thomas Hood)
- La Belle Dame sans Merci (John Keats)
- Ode To A Nightingale (John Keats)
- To Autumn (John Keats)
- Ozymandias (Percy Bysshe Shelley)
- The Prelude: Book One Introduction (William Wordsworth)
- Surprised By Joy (William Wordsworth)
- To The Moon (Percy Bysshe Shelley)
- So We'll Go No More A Roving (Lord Byron)
- The Lady Of Shallot (Lord Alfred Tennyson)