1971 Solo Acoustic Concert Available For The First Time On Vinyl LP!
Restored From The Original Analog Tapes!
Just two months after the release of his seminal After the Gold Rush, Neil Young sat down for a performance at The Shakespeare Theater on January 22, 1971. The Stratford, CT show captures the artist stripped down to the bare essentials - acoustic guitar, piano, and harmonica.
The concert was recorded for presentation on German TV later that year but was not publicly available until now. The original 50 year-old analog tapes have been lovingly restored, making available early acoustic recordings of two After the Gold Rush songs, early Harvest tunes, and beloved favorites such as "Ohio", "Cowgirl In The Sand", "Helpless", "Down By The River" and "Sugar Mountain".
Young wrote on NYA that Young Shakespeare is, "a more calm performance, without the celebratory atmosphere of Massey Hall, captured live on 16mm. Young Shakespeare is a very special event. To my fans, I say this is the best ever...one of the most pure-sounding acoustic performances we have in the Archive."
This beautiful concert is being released on LP, DVD and CD, plus a numbered deluxe boxed edition that includes all 3 formats - LP, CD and DVD (Regional).
To my fans, I say this is the best ever...one of the most pure-sounding acoustic performances we have in the Archive.
The vibe is intimate, even sweet, with Neil joking with the crowd during the elongated 'Sugar Mountain,' an emotion that is present on Live at Massey Hall but is more intensely felt here. The subtle distinction gives Young Shakespeare its own character, one that's charming in its casual friendliness.
- Vinyl LP
- Neil Young Archives Performance Series
- Recorded at the Shakespeare Theater, Stratford, CT, January 22, 1971
- First time this concert has been publicly available
- Restored from the original 50 year-old analog tapes
- Plangent processing & tape transfers by Jamie Howarth & John Chester
- Mastered from 192/24 digital
- Mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
- Gatefold jacket
- Made in Germany
|Neil Young||vocals, guitar, piano|
- Tell Me Why
- Old Man
- The Needle And The Damage Done
- Dance Dance Dance
- Cowgirl In The Sand
- A Man Needs A Maid / Heart Of Gold (Medley)
- Journey Through The Past
- Don't Let It Bring You Down
- Down By The River
- Sugar Mountain