Japanese City Pop Collection on Sunny Seaside Splatter Vinyl Double LP!
When Light in the Attic released Pacific Breeze: Japanese City Pop, AOR & Boogie 1976-1986 in 2019, it was the first collection of its kind to be released outside Japan. It proved to be just what music fans had been waiting for - a compilation of sought-after tracks that had been nearly impossible to obtain unless you were well connected with dealers and collectors, or traveled regularly to the countless record stores in Japan. Pacific Breeze included Minako Yoshida, Taeko Ohnuki, Hiroshi Sato and Haruomi Hosono among other key players of '70s-'80s Japanese city pop, the nebulous genre that encompassed an "amalgam of AOR, R&B, jazz fusion, funk, boogie and disco, all a touch dizzy with tropical euphoria."
With Pacific Breeze 2: Japanese City Pop, AOR & Boogie 1972-1986, Light in the Attic digs deeper into those sounds of bubble-era Japan. From the proto-city pop funk of Bread & Butter and Eiichi Ohtaki to the crate-digger favorites Eri Ohno and Piper, the latest entry in Light in the Attic's Japan Archival Series brings another set of sought-after tunes, most of which have never before been available outside of Japan. Tomoko Aran and Anri, also included in this compilation, are just a few of the artists who have gained popularity in recent years thanks to vaporwave, the meme-genre that heavily samples Japanese city pop to create its particular aesthetic.
Pacific Breeze 2 once again feature the artwork of renowned Tokyo-based illustrator Hiroshi Nagai, whose iconic images of resort living have become synonymous with city pop. Nagai's urban tropical imagery is a perfect match for the expertly curated tunes, evoking a certain sense of nostalgia for the leisure lifestyles of '70s-'80s Tokyo, while simultaneously being perfectly in tune with the current zeitgeist.
- Sunny Seaside Splatter Vinyl
- Double LP
- Remastered Audio
- Cover Art by Hiroshi Nagai
- Extensive Artist Bios in Oversized Fold-Out Booklet
- Deluxe Wide-Spine Jacket with OBI
- Full-Color Inner Sleeves
- Made in Czech Republic
- Bread & Butter - Pink Shadow
- Eiichi Ohtaki - Yubikiri
- Kimiko Kasai - Vibration [Love Celebration]
- The Mystery Kindaichi Band - Kindaichi Kosuke No Theme
- Tetsuji Hayashi - Hidari Mune No Seiza
- Anri - Last Summer Whisper
- Momoko Kikuchi - Blind Curve
- Tomoko Aran - I'm in Love
- Yu Imai - Kindaichi Kosuke Nishi E Iku
- Sadistics - The Tokyo Taste
- Piper - Hot Sand
- Junko Ohashi & Minoya Central Station - Rainy Saturday & Coffee Break
- Eri Ohno - Skyfire
- Yumi Murata - Kanpoo
- Kyoko Furuya - Harumifutou
- Yuji Toriyama - Bay/Sky Provincetown 1977