Audiophile 180g Virgin Vinyl LP!
From The Original Analogue Masters of Universal Music!
Pressed at Pallas!
Pierre Fournier (cello) and Wilhelm Backhaus (piano) perform Brahms' Sonata No. 1 in E Minor for 'Cello And Piano Opus 38 and Sonata No. 2 in F Major For 'Cello And Piano Opus 99. Recorded at Victoria Hall, Geneva, May 1-3, 1955.
Fournier's particular brand of lyricism suits these sonatas very well, and he sounds especially fine on the lower strings... and Fournier makes golden sounds. He takes the slow movement much faster than his rivals, but sings the more lyrical trio section with a sweetness that is wholly disarming. His performance of the finale of this sonata (No.1) is without question the best.
Cellist Pierre Fournier (1906-1986) developed a more suave, elegant style that became his endearing trademark for more than 40 years. The 1955 record of the Brahms' 2 Cello Sonatas, with pianist Wilhelm Backhaus (1884-1969), captures the wonderful wide-ranging beauty of dignity, passion, joy and reserve in both works.
- Audiophile 180g Virgin Vinyl
- Pressed at Pallas GmbH in Germany
- Audiophile analogue mastering by John Webber at Air Studios in London
- Mastered from the Original Analogue Masters of Universal Music
- Analogphonic release
Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
Sonata No. 1 In E Minor For 'Cello And Piano Opus 38
- First Movement: Allegro non troppo
- Second Movement: Allegretto quasi minuetto
- Third Movement: Allegro
Sonata No. 2 In F Major For 'Cello And Piano Opus 99
- First Movement: Allegro vivace
- Second Movement: Adagio affettuoso
- Third Movement: Allegro passionato
- Fourth Movement: Allegro molto