10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition 3LP!
Original Album + Black Radio Recovered Remix EP!
Includes 3 Bonus Tracks Previously Unreleased on Vinyl!
Ten years ago in 2012, Robert Glasper changed the game. After several acclaimed Blue Note albums with his acoustic trio (Canvas, In My Element) that solidified his Jazz cred while hinting at his Hip-Hop leanings, the visionary pianist went all in with Black Radio, an album that laid out a new paradigm for creative music, reaching beyond entrenched genre boundaries to create a singular vision that drew from all reaches of contemporary black music and beyond. Featuring Glasper's Experiment band with Casey Benjamin on sax/vocoder, Derrick Hodge on bass and Chris Dave on drums, the album boasted a rollcall of special guests including Erykah Badu, Lalah Hathaway, Bilal, Lupe Fiasco, Ledisi, KING, Chrisette Michele, Musiq Soulchild, Meshell Ndegeocello, Stokley, and yasiin bey.
Black Radio drew unanimous acclaim from critics who praised the album as "a blueprint forward" (Rolling Stone), "an impressive swirl of funk, hip-hop, R&B, soul, and of course jazz" (Complex), and "hazily soulful" (New York Times). The Los Angeles Times lauded the album's "rich musical interplay and a fearless, uncompromising spirit" while describing the Experiment as "a group that lets the keyboardist's interest in hip-hop, soul and rock run wild with no regard for musical borders." Black Radio would go on to debut on four different Billboard charts reaching #1 Jazz, #4 R&B/Hip-Hop, and #15 on the Top 200. The cherry on top came in February 2013 at the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards when Black Radio was awarded Best R&B Album.
The special 10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition presents the full Black Radio experience by expanding it to a 3-LP set that includes the original album plus three additional bonus tracks previously unreleased on vinyl, as well as the remix EP Black Radio Recovered which featured additional contributions from ?uestlove and The Roots, Solange, Phonte, 9th Wonder, Pete Rock, Georgia Anne Muldrow, and more. Also included is a booklet featuring new liner notes by Glasper and rare studio photos.
"Making the album grew out of a desire to put my life on wax. A black box of music that just tells the truth, tells the story. That's something you can't destroy: the truth. It's indestructible," writes Glasper in the liner notes. "How Black Radio 1 hit also says something. Like, it was needed. It was missing - and then we made that record and, boom, it was there, and it was a whole thing. And it's still evolving. Black Radio is basically the spinal cord of my work. It's at the center of what I do. It's who I am."
The album is a seamless, deeply focused meld of jazz, hip-hop, adult contemporary R&B, neo-soul, even rock, with an expansive use of rhythmic and melodic invention; all of it surrounded by spacious, natural-sounding production that's smooth, never slick. The various elements yield the desired result: making the whole greater than its parts... Black Radio creates an entirely new context for popular music in its near erasure of boundaries. It is the sound of the future - even if no one knows it yet.
- 10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
- Original Album
- 3 Bonus Tracks Previously Unreleased on Vinyl
- Black Radio Recovered: The Remix EP
- Triple Gatefold
- Booklet with New Liner Notes by Robert Glasper & Rare Studio Photos
- Made in Germany
|Robert Glasper||keyboards, piano, Fender Rhodes, synthesizer|
|Casey Benjamin||vocoder, flute, saxophone, synthesizer|
|Chris Dave||drums, percussion|
Black Radio: Original Album
- Lift Off feat. Shafiq Husayn / Mic Check
- Afro Blue feat. Erykah Badu
- Cherish the Day feat. Lalah Hathaway
- Always Shine feat. Lupe Fiasco and Bilal
- Gonna Be Alright (F.T.B.) feat. Ledisi
- Move Love feat. KING
- Ah Yeah feat. Musiq Soulchild & Chrisette Michele
- The Consequences of Jealousy feat. Meshell Ndegeocello
- Why Do We Try feat. Stokley
- Black Radio feat. Yasiin Bey
- Letter to Hermione feat. Bilal
- Smells Like Teen Spirit
Black Radio: Bonus Tracks
- A Love Supreme
- Fever feat. Hindi Zahra
Black Radio Recovered: The Remix EP
- Afro Blue feat. Erykah Badu (9th Wonder's Blue Light Basement Remix featuring Phonte)
- Black Radio feat. Yasiin Bey (Pete Rock Remix)
- Twice (?uestlove's Twice Baked Remix featuring Solange Knowles & The Roots)
- The Consequences of Jealousy feat. Meshell Ndegeocello (Georgia Anne Muldrow's Sassy Geemix)
- Letter to Hermione (Robert Glasper and Jewels Remix featuring Black Milk)
- Dillalude #2