This item not eligible for any further discount offers!Numbered, Limited Edition 200 Gram LP! Only the 1st 1,000 Copies are Numbered! Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!
Mastered by Kevin Gray & Cut from the Original Mono 100% Analog Master Tapes!
Part of the ultimate audiophile Prestige mono reissues from Analogue Productions - 25 of the most collectible, rarest, most audiophile-sounding Rudy Van Gelder recordings ever made. All mastered from the original analog master tapes by mastering maestro Kevin Gray. 200-gram LPs pressed at state-of -the-art plant Quality Record Pressings and plated by Gary Salstrom. Deep groove label pressings, tip-on jackets on thick cardboard stock.
One of the pivotal recordings in bringing about the widespread acceptance of Sonny Rollins as a major figure, Saxophone Colossus inspired critics to write scholarly analyses and fans to revel in the hard-swinging invention, humor, and tender-strength balladry. Up to this album, while most musicians recognized Rollins as one of the new influential forces in the jazz of the 50s, most critics were carping at Rollins or damning him with faint praise. "St. Thomas," a traditional West Indian melody which Mal Waldron remembered as "The Carnival," was recorded by many artists after Sonny introduced it here, and it remains a jazz standard today. The contributions of Tommy Flanagans elegant swing, Doug Watkinss steady lift, and Max Roachs most musical accompaniment and soloing (hear "Blue 7") make this a landmark album.
Originally released in 1956.
"Sonny Rollins recorded many memorable sessions during 1954-1958, but Saxophone Colossus is arguably his finest all-around set. Joined by pianist Tommy Flanagan, bassist Doug Watkins, and drummer Max Roach, Rollins debuts and performs the definitive version of 'St. Thomas,' tears into the chord changes of 'Mack the Knife' (here called 'Moritat'), introduces 'Strode Rode,' is lyrical on 'You Don't Know What Love Is,' and constructs a solo on 'Blue Seven' that practically defines his style." - Scott Yanow, allmusic.com
• 200g Vinyl LP
• Numbered, Limited Edition, Less Than 1000 Records per stamper, released in limited quantities
• Only the 1st 1,000 Copies are Numbered!
• The Original 100% Analog Master Tapes were used working with only the Best Mastering Studios!
• Mastered by Kevin Gray & Plated by Gary Salstrom
• Plated and Pressed at Quality Record Pressings on Virgin Vinyl
• Meticulous Test Pressing Evaluation and Quality Control
• Deluxe Packaging using the highest quality jackets and rice paper inner sleeves
• Officially Licensed & Authorized for release by the Record Label
Sonny Rollins, tenor sax
Max Roach, drums
Tommy Flanagan, piano
Doug Watkins, bass
1. Strode Rode
2. Blue 7
4. St. Thomas
5. You Don't Know What Love Is