Stax Records' Defining Hits Collection! First-Ever Vinyl Reissue!
Soul Explosion is a double LP, first-time vinyl reissue celebrating the 50th anniversary of Stax Records defining hits collection, featuring 28 tracks including chart-toppers and deeper cuts.
The Stax Soul Explosion 2-LP reissue celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Memphis labels defining hits collection. Features powerful soul tracks like Private Number by Judy Clay & William Bell, Whos Making Love by Johnnie Taylor and Ive Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do) by Eddie Floyd. The set features 28 tracks, including chart-toppers and deeper cuts.
In 1968 Stax was working overtime to reinvent itself in the wake of Otis Redding's untimely December '67 passing and the dissolution of a deal with Atlantic Records that gave the label perpetual rights to Stax's back catalog. When the deal ended, Stax also lost one of their leading artists, Sam & Dave, who were signed to Atlantic, but released their music on Stax. Though Stax lost nearly all of the songs they had recorded from 1957 through 1968, they still had the talented musicians, songwriters and producers who had made them. Al Bell, who had just been promoted to Vice President of the label, quickly realized that Stax needed more than hits if they were going to survive. They needed to rebuild their back catalog. In 1969, Bell steered Stax into a prolific period of recording that united Stax's creative forces in the common goal of getting the label back on its feet. This rebuilding phase was labeled the Soul Explosion. During this remarkable rebuilding phase, 30 singles and 27 albums were recorded in eight months.
• 50th Anniversary of original Soul Explosion LP release
• Double LP
• Gatefold jacket
• First-ever vinyl reissue
• Made in Memphis!
• Lacquers cut by Jeff Powell at Take Out Vinyl
• Pressed at Memphis Record Pressing
1. Whos Making Love - Johnnie Taylor
2. I Like Everything About You - Jimmy Hughes
3. Hang 'Em High - Booker T. & The MG's
4. Where Do I Go - Carla Thomas
5. I've Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do) - Eddie Floyd
6. Smell Of Incense - Southwest F.O.B.
7. Cold Feet- Albert King
1. Soul Limbo - Booker T. & The MG's
2. So Nice - The Mad Lads
3. Bring It On Home To Me - Eddie Floyd
4. Private Number - William Bell & Judy Clay
5. Long Walk To D.C. - The Staple Singers
6. I've Got A Sure Thing - Ollie & The Nightingales
7. Copy Kat - The Bar-Kays
1. Soul Clap '69 - Booker T. & The MG's
2. Hear My Call - The Staple Singers
3. Save Your Love For Me - Johnnie Taylor
4. Peeped Around Yonder's Bend - Jimmy Hughes
5. Book Of Love - Carla Thomas
6. These Old Memories - The Mad Lads
7. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Southwest F.O.B.
1. Hot Hips - The Bar-Kays
2. Heartache Mountain - Ollie & The Nightingales
3. Twenty Years From Today - Johnnie Taylor
4. It's Wrong To Be Loving You - Eddie Floyd
5. It's Me - Judy Clay
6. Booker's Theme - Booker T. & The MG's
7. Left Hand Woman (Get Right With Me) - Albert King