Sufjan Stevens, Asthmatic Kitty and Sounds Familyre announce Sufjan's third full-length album, a collection of songs for his birth-state, Michigan, The Great Lake State. Composed as a geographical tone poem, Michigan follows a metaphysical expedition through the idiosyncrasies of Middle America. Drawing from personal anecdote, regional history and state heritage, Stevens mixes social and political grievances with songs about snowmobiles, Henry Ford, the Detroit race riots and love. Michigan's songs resonate with a range of sources Vince Guaraldi, Terry Riley and Nick Drake in executing Stevens' peculiar palette that is simultaneously rock and bluegrass, jazz and pop, a style The Village Voice appraises as "Arthur Lee meets the Book of Psalms."
1. Flint (For The Unemployed And Underpaid)
2. All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace!
3. For The Widows In Paradise, For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti
4. Say Yes! To M!ch!gan!
5. The Upper Peninsula
6. Tahquamenon Falls
8. Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)
10. Alanson, Crooked River
1. Sleeping Bear, Sault Saint Marie
2. They Also Mourn Who Do Not Wear Black (For The Homeless In Muskegon)
3. Oh God, Where Are You Now? (In Pickeral Lake? Pigeon? Marquette? Mackinaw?)
4. Redford (For Yia-Yia & Pappou)
5. Vito's Ordination Song
6. Marching Band
7. Pickerel Lake
8. Niagara Falls
9. Presidents and Magistrates
If Can Be Discounted
Record Speed Record Size
Out of Print
Direct to disc
Scratch & Dent