This compilation of unreleased & rare tracks from the Twin Cities' Kay Bank Studios features 16 rip-rollin' cuts of some of the best surf and garage rock Kay Bank had to offer. Features The Trashmen, The Vaqueros, and more! Pressed on black vinyl, with liner notes by John Blair!
Kay Bank Recordings in Minneapolis was certainly one of these historic studios. It was named after the wife of owner Vernon Bank. Although he had been involved in the recording business since the late 1940s, Bank's recording studio operation got underway in 1957 when he moved into a building that was large enough to also establish a pressing plant. The studio provided a 3-track Ampex recorder, a 12-input recording console, and a live echo chamber.
According to a 1958 article in the Minneapolis Star newspaper, Kay Bank was pressing 60,000 records each week, and Vernon Bank claimed that his studio provided the most complete facility of any other studio "between Pennsylvania and California." The sign above the building's entrance stated, "A Complete Recording Service From Master Tape to Pressed Record."
Sundazed Music recently acquired a large archive of the existing Kay Bank master tapes. Some of the surf, and related, recordings in that archive are included in this compilation, all recorded between June 1964 and August 1966 - at a time when the British Invasion was ravaging the sales charts.
- Deep Cuts & Unissued Gems from Sundazed's Kay Bank Studios Master Tape Archive
- Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio
- Pressed on Black Vinyl at Citizen Vinyl
- Liner Notes by John Blair (Author of The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music)
- Jonah - The Vaqueros
- Heaven's Devil - The Boss Tweads
- Caliente - The Marauders
- Island in the Sun - The Vaqueros
- Shot in the Dark - The Mustangs
- Disintegration - The Readymen
- Comin' Home Baby - The Vaqueros
- Girl Don't Tell Me - The Satisfactions
- 80 Foot Wave - The Vaqueros
- Za Boo - The Valients
- Bird Gasp '65 - The Trashmen
- Surfin' Blues - The Readymen
- The Furys - Little Queenie (instrumental version)
- Space Journey Ranger 7 - The Vaqueros
- Surf Beat - The Chancellors
- Greensleeves - The Trashmen