Limited Edition 180 Gram LP! Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!
Mastered by Kevin Gray & Cut from the Original Mono 100% Analog Master Tapes!
This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
Part of the ultimate audiophile Prestige mono reissues from Analogue Productions - 25 of the most collectible, rarest, most audiophile-sounding Rudy Van Gelder recordings ever made. All mastered from the original analog master tapes by mastering maestro Kevin Gray. 180-gram LPs pressed at state-of-the-art plant Quality Record Pressings and plated by Gary Salstrom. Deep groove label pressings, tip-on jackets on thick cardboard stock.
Rollins Plays for Bird is an album by jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins, recorded for the Prestige label, featuring performances by Rollins with Kenny Dorham, Wade Legge, George Morrow, and Max Roach.
As the tenor sax is not in the same key as an alto, Sonny Rollins would have to transpose a lot of music to take a tribute to Charlie Parker to a high level. Instead Rollins has chosen standards associated with Parker, and recorded them within a year after Bird's passing.
The music certainly has its moments, as on the inexhaustible 27-minute medley of seven tunes seamlessly stitched together. Rollins plays the melody on alternating songs "I Remember You" and "They Can't Take That Away from Me," Kenny Dorham has at it for "My Melancholy Baby" and "Just Friends," with Wade Legge getting his two cents in on trio only versions of "Old Folks" and "My Little Suede Shoes." Finally the whole band joins in on the ten-minute medley finale "Star Eyes." Two independent selections accompany the medley: Rollins does the ballad "I've Grown Accustomed to Your (Her) Face," from the musical "My Fair Lady" and the horns finally play together for the nearly 12-minute cool waltz "Kids Know."
Three cuts are all that are contained on this tribute to Charlie Parker, an impressive set selected as a fitting tribute by one of Bird's true musical heirs, Sonny Rollins. However, the nearly 29 minute long opening medley of seven tunes closely associated with Bird as well as the two additional selections thoroughly convey the legacy of both of these legendary saxophonists.
- 180g Vinyl LP
- Limited Edition
- The Original 100% Analog Master Tapes were used working with only the Best Mastering Studios!
- Mastered by Kevin Gray & Plated by Gary Salstrom
- Plated and Pressed at Quality Record Pressings on Virgin Vinyl
- Meticulous Test Pressing Evaluation and Quality Control
- Deluxe Packaging using the highest quality jackets and rice paper inner sleeves
- Officially Licensed & Authorized for release by the Record Label
- Flat-Edge Profile & Deep-Groove Label, True to the Original LP
|Sonny Rollins||tenor saxophone|
- Medley: I Remember You / My Melancholy Baby / Old Folks / They Can't Take That Away From Me / Just Friends / My Little Suede Shoes / Star Eyes
- I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face
- Kids Know