Released in February 1969, Cloud nine was The Temptations' first album to feature vocalist Dennis Edwards, following David Ruffin's departure from the group the previous year. A top ten US hit, and receiving a Grammy Award in 1970, it shows the vocal act's move away from their traditional Motown sound into more psychedelic territory, influenced by new artists such as Sly And The Family Stone. Including the hit singles "Run Away Child, Running Wild" and the title track, the album also features their interpretation of "I Heard It Through The grapevine". According to Q magazine, "the result still sounds fresh and immediate 30-odd years on."
...an album that would become one of the defining early funk sets, with songs that not only took Motown in a new direction, but helped to shape a genre as well.
- Limited Edition
- 180g Vinyl
- Exact reproduction of original LP artwork
- Cloud Nine
- I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- Run Away Child, Running Wild
- Love Is A Hurtin' Thing
- Hey Girl
- Why Did She Have To Leave Me (Why Did She Have To Go)
- I Need Your Lovin'
- Don't Let Him Take Your Love From Me
- I Gotta Find A Way (To Get You Back)
- Gonna Keep On Tryin' Till I Win Your Love