The VPI Scout Jr. turntable boasts analog luxuriance with a clear sound. This turntable uses the VPI Traveler's aluminum platter, an MDF plinth, and an outboard motor. In addition, it uses a yoke-type bearing system similar to the one used on VPI's headphone amp/phono preamp equipped Nomad. For this price, the Scout Jr. has magnificent dynamics and extremely clean, powerful bass.
The Scout Jr comes with a newer bearing and platter for quieter operation and better speed control. The Scout Jr. uses a 600 RPM (500 RPM overseas) AC synchronous motor to drive the turntable. This is a precision device that is mounted in a separate box on rubber feet for the ultimate in motor noise isolation.
B/NOS Turntable Features
- Player Platter
- Cliffwood Gimbal Arm
- Classic Feet
- 1.25" thick black textured vinyl covered non-resonant MDF chassis.
- 16" x 11" footprint
- 19 x 14 x6 overall size
- Platter rotates on an oil bath bearing and fitted to shaft with a #2 Jacobs Taper for a concentric rigidly mounted coupling.
- The bearing has a PEEK thrust disc and machined graphite impregnated brass bushings using a Thompson Engineering 60 Rockwell case hardened shaft.
- 600 RPM AC synchronous motor is contained in a separate steel housing and drives the platter with smooth, quiet operation.
- Includes a record damping mat