Released to celebrate influential jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery's centennial, The Complete Full House Recordings brings together all the recordings from the Full House sessions with two previously unreleased performances. Featuring Johnny Griffin, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb, this collection has new liner notes by journalist Bill Milkowski and is mastered from the original analog tapes by Joe Tarantino. 3 LP set pressed on 180g vinyl with lacquers cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio.
Craft most certainly does not disappoint with this release of Full House. LP One has the original 6 tracks in album order and it sounds better than it ever has for a live recording of the period. Everything about how on-fire Wes and this crew of performers were when they committed that night's events to tape has been said by critics many times over. And it's all true. Every track in that original album was absolutely killer. Thanks to Craft Recordings' attention to detail though, it has never sounded better...It's a superb-sounding set with no undue surface noise, pops, or cracks. Short of Craft giving this set the One-Step treatment, this is as good as it gets and it's one of my favorites of their releases thus far.
Guitarist Wes Montgomery only recorded one live session for the great jazz label Riverside, but one was all he needed to make a serious statement of intent. On 'I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face,' Montgomery is the gentle balladeer, strumming slowly and firmly through this familiar melody. On his original compositions, 'Full House' and 'S.O.S.,' he's a post-bop cyclone plucking spiritedly in tandem with saxophonist Johnny Griffin and peeling off for solos that send the caffeinated crowd reeling. Reissued many times since its initial release, this new triple-LP set feels definitive. In addition to the original album, the producers have included previously unreleased alternate versions and outtakes from the Berkeley date that provide listeners with the opportunity to hear how solos evolved over the course of a single evening.
- 180g Vinyl
- Two Previously Unreleased Performances
- 24-bit/192kHz Mastering by Joe Tarantino from the Original Analog Tapes
- Lacquers Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio
- Triple Gatefold with OBI Strip
- New Liner Notes by Journalist Bill Milkowski
- Pressed at Optimal
Disc One - Full House
- Full House (Album Version)
- I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
- Blue 'N' Boogie (Take 2, Album Version)
- Cariba (Take 2, Album Version)
- Come Rain Or Come Shine (Take 2, Album Version)
- S.O.S. (Take 3, Album Version)
Disc Two - Alternate Takes
- Full House (with originally played Montgomery solo restored*, Previously Unreleased)
- Blue 'N' Boogie (Take 1, Alternate) - Originally released on Wes Montgomery: The Complete Riverside Recordings
- Cariba (Take 1, Alternate) - Originally released on Wes Montgomery: The Complete Riverside Recordings
- Come Rain Or Come Shine (Take 1, Alternate) - Originally released on The Alternative Wes Montgomery
Disc Three - Alternate Takes and Outtakes
- S.O.S. (Take 1, Alternate, Previously Unreleased)
- S.O.S. (Take 2, Alternate) - Originally released on The Alternative Wes Montgomery
- Born To Be Blue (Take 1, Outtake) - Originally released on Wes Montgomery: The Complete Riverside Recordings
- Born To Be Blue (Take 2, Outtake) - Originally released on The Alternative Wes Montgomery
*Producer's Note: The original album version of the title track "Full House" is actually a composite of two takes in which Montgomery's guitar solo from another take was edited in. On Disc Two in this collection, we are presenting the complete unedited master take, with Montgomery's originally played (and previously replaced) guitar solo restored.