In celebration of its 10-year anniversary, Resonance is launching a series of compilations culled from its vast catalog highlighting both living artists as well as jazz greats of the past. The artwork for the titles in the series is by Takao Fujioka, the acclaimed Japanese artist who is also the chief editor of Way Out West magazine in Japan. Takao's unique and striking artwork has graced countless album covers, including Resonance's 2016 Stan Getz release Moments in Time.
Wes's Best: The Best of Wes Montgomery on Resonance draws from Echoes of Indiana Avenue (2012); In the Beginning (2015); One Night in Indy (2016); Smokin' in Seattle (2017); and Back on Indiana Avenue (2019). A complete track listing for both packages appears below. Back on Indiana Avenue was issued for the first time as limited edition two-LP set on Record Store Day 2019, and 3 tracks from the album appear on Wes's Best.
Montgomery's Smokin' in Seattle, culled from 1966 broadcast dates with pianist Wynton Kelly's trio, was recorded less than a year after 1965's classic Smokin' at the Half Note and received similar kudos from DownBeat, JazzTimes, and NPR.
Wes Montgomery's son Robert writes in Wes's Best, "It's been a thrill to participate with Resonance Records these last nine years in getting my father's music out to the world... I appreciate the care Resonance always takes to honor my father's memory with each release -- including interviews and essays about the music and finding rare pictures."
- Vinyl LP
- Artwork by Takao Fujioka
- Jingles (from Smokin' In Seattle)
- Mr. Walker (from Back On Indiana Avenue)
- West Coast Blues (from Smokin' In Seattle)
- Four On Six (from Back On Indiana Avenue)
- Once I Loved (O Amor Em Paz) (from Smokin' In Seattle)
- Wes' Tune (from In The Beginning)
- Li'l Darling (from One Night In Indy)
- Going Down To Big Mary's (from In The Beginning)
- Diablo's Dance (from Echoes Of Indiana Avenue)
- Nica's Dream (from Echoes Of Indiana Avenue)
- Give Me The Simple Life (from One Night In Indy)
- 'Round Midnight (from Back On Indiana Avenue)