This product can only be shipped to U.S. addresses.
DragonFly Cobalt is a portable, plug-and-play USB DAC (digital-to-analog converter), preamp, and headphone amp that delivers far cleaner, clearer, more naturally beautiful sound to headphones, powered speakers, or complete audio systems. With an attractive enclosure whose overall size (2.26 x 0.73 x 0.47) and shape match that of a USB thumb drive, DragonFly easily connects to laptops, tablets, and smartphones, either directly or with an appropriate USB cable, such as AudioQuests high-performance USB-C DragonTail (included).
DragonFly Cobalt, AudioQuest's new flagship DAC, takes what music lovers around the world have come to expect from the multi-award-winning DragonFly family-naturally beautiful, seductive sound and strips away fuzz and fog that weren't even noticeable until Cobalt removed them.
How is this possible? Like the critically acclaimed DragonFly Red, Cobalt has the robust 2.1-volt output to drive almost any headphone, uses a bit-perfect digital volume control for outstanding signal-to-noise ratio, enables seamless compatibility with Apple and Android devices, and is an exceptionally competent and affordable MQA Renderer.
With a DragonFly, music appreciation and exploration are limitless: Plug into an Apple or Windows® computer or connect to an iOS® or Android mobile device. Play YouTube or Vimeo videos. Go hunting on Bandcamp or SoundCloud. Explore playlists on Spotify or Pandora. Stream high-res audio from Tidal or Qobuz. No matter the choice of musical pleasure, DragonFly delivers beautiful sound, unraveling the emotional expression and nuance that makes music and movies so enjoyable.Cobalt's precedent-setting performance is made possible by multiple significant upgrades:
- New, more advanced ESS ES9038Q2M DAC chip with a minimum-phase slow roll-off filter for more natural sound.
- Microchip's superb PIC32MX274 microprocessor draws less current and increases processing speed by 33%.
- Improved power supply filtering that specifically increases immunity to WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular noise.
- Includes a form-fitting DragonTail female USB-A to male USB-C Adaptor.
- Plays all file formats/soundtracks: MP3, MQA, high-res, etc.
- Compatible with Mac and Window computers, Android and iOS devices.
- 2.1-volt output easily drives most headphones.
- All Dragon Tails use AQ's Carbon-level USB cable.
Of course, Cobalt uses Gordon Rankin's precedent-setting StreamLength" asynchronous-transfer USB code. Further, in Gordon's monoClock® technology, a single ultra-low-jitter clock generated from the ESS ES9038Q2M DAC chip runs the ESS chip functions as well as all microcontroller functions. This superior clock enables DragonFly Cobalt to provide greater resolution and clarity than DACs with multiple clocks.
All this goodness is packed into a sleek new case that measures just 2.26" x 0.73" x 0.47" (57.5mm x 18.6mm x 11.9mm), making the latest DragonFly 10% smaller and even a bit more pocket-friendly.