Binker and Moses are tenor saxophonist Binker Golding and drummer Moses Boyd - two of the most exciting young jazz musicians on the thriving London jazz scene. Originally meeting through double bassist/educator Gary Crosby's Tomorrow's Warriors jazz development program, they have played together in various large and small format groups including recording and touring extensively as members of Zara McFarlane's band. Dem Ones is their 2015 debut recording as a duo, and has its roots in experiments between soundchecks and gigs while on the road with McFarlane. Over time these initial ideas and jams have become templates for improvisation, and with their echoes of late period Coltrane and Charles Lloyd, are as listenable and memorable as they are full of invention, passion and surprise.
All the tracks were performed in the live room at Mark Ronson's Zelig Studio, using never more than 2 takes for each track, with minimal interference in the signal chain and no overdubs, then recorded direct to Gearbox's vintage Studer 1/4" tape machine for true sonic purity.
The band earned themselves a host of awards off the back of the album's initial release back in 2015. Among them:
• MOBO Awards 2015: Best Jazz Act
• Jazz FM Awards 2016: UK Jazz Act of the Year
• Jazz FM Awards 2016: Breakthrough Act of the Year
• Parliamentary Jazz Awards 2016: Jazz Newcomer of the Year
It's always a sign of outstanding musicianship when you realise that you're listening to far fewer players than you first thought. A sufficiently gifted pianist can suggest an entire orchestra, and various cunning small combos may punch well above their weight. But this album features a really striking duo - tenor saxophone and drums - whose playing is so accomplished and integrated that it's easy to forget you're not listening to a whole band.
- Hand-Numbered, Limited Edition - Only 500 Copies
- Clear Vinyl
- Recorded at Mark Ronson's Zelig Studio & Gearbox Records
- Recorded live direct to Gearbox's vintage Studer 1/4" tape machine
- No editing, overdubbing or mixing
- Cut on Haeco Scully lathe with Westrex RA1700 series amps, Westrex 3DIIA cutting head & Telefunken U73B tube limiter
- Maselec master control & equilization
- Audio Note monitoring equipment
- Cut directly from master tapes
|Binker Golding||tenor saxophone|
- No Long 'Tings
- Man Like GP
- È S Ù
- Black Ave Maria
- The Creeper