Black Sabbath is an English rock band formed in Birmingham in 1968. Originally formed as a blues rock band, the group soon adopted the Black Sabbath moniker and began incorporating occult themes with horror-inspired lyrics and tuned-down guitars. Despite an association with these two themes, Black Sabbath also composed songs dealing with social instability, political corruption, the dangers of drug abuse and apocalyptic prophecies of the horrors of war.
Sabbath's sweeping and masterful metamorphosis away from that tradition spawned heavy metal music, inventing the template for everything that would follow. With crushing rhythms, torpedo riffs, haunting songs, and Ozzy's other-worldly vocals, the band conjured a dark, menacing, and resonant sound that reverberates still.
Black Sabbath is often cited as pioneers of heavy metal music. The band helped define the genre, were ranked by MTV as the "Greatest Metal Band" of all time, and placed second in VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock" list. Rolling Stone magazine ranked them number 85 in their "100 Greatest Artists of All Time". They have sold over 70 million records worldwide. Black Sabbath was inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2005 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006. They have also won two Grammy Awards for Best Metal Performance.
Recorded during the "Dio years," Heaven And Hell is presented here as a newly remastered version, with bonus tracks including live, rare, and unreleased material. Mob Rules, another Dio-era classic, is also being released on March 5th in a deluxe format. The Heaven And Hell release includes bonus tracks receiving their first North American release, live rarities, and more.
- Deluxe Edition
- Double LP
- Classic 1980 album remastered
- Bonus LP of rarities & live versions
- Mastering: Andy Pearce & Matt Wortham at Wired Masters, London
- Gatefold jacket
- Made in USA
|Ronnie James Dio||vocals|
LP One: Heaven And Hell (2021 Remaster)
- Neon Knights
- Children Of The Sea
- Lady Evil
- Heaven And Hell
- Wishing Well
- Die Young
- Walk Away
- Lonely Is The Word
LP Two: Bonus Tracks
- Children Of The Sea (Live B-Side of Neon Knights)
- Heaven And Hell (Live 7" Edit, B-Side of Die Young - Live at Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT, 8/10/1980)
- Lady Evil (Mono 7" Edit)
- Neon Knights (Live at Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT, 8/10/1980)
- Children Of The Sea (Live at Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT, 8/10/1980)
- Heaven And Hell (Live at Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT, 8/10/1980)
- Die Young (Live at Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT, 8/10/1980)