Hand-Picked & Curated In Collaboration With The Rolling Stones!
As well as being the biggest band in the world, The Rolling Stones are also the biggest champions of the blues, so who better to curate a compilation in collaboration with BMG and Universal, of the music that inspired them throughout their career?
Confessin' The Blues collects together the greatest bluesmen ever and provides a perfect education to the genre. The tracklisting has been chosen by The Rolling Stones, in collaboration with BMG and Universal. The Rolling Stones have long been supporters of the Blues from before the start of their career right through to their latest album, Blue & Lonesome, which featured their interpretations of the classics, many of which appear in their original versions here on Confessin' The Blues. Mick Jagger was an early fan of the Blues: "The first Muddy Waters album that was really popular was Muddy Waters at Newport, which was the first album I ever bought." Keith Richards said, "If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music."
As such big supporters of the genre, the band and BMG have decided that 10% of BMG's net receipts* from the sale of this album will be donated to Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation (Registered as a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization in the United States). Jacqueline Dixon, President/CEO of The Blues Heaven Foundation, said: "We are extremely honoured, grateful and humbled that Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation has been included in such an astonishing project. It means so much that my father's dream of creating an organization that promotes, protects and preserves the Blues for future generations is being recognized and supported by artists that have achieved so much."
Confessin' The Blues includes tracks by the biggest Blues pioneers including Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson. All of these artists had an impact on the nascent Rolling Stones, be they influencing Keith's guitar licks or Mick's vocals and lyrics. As Ronnie Wood says: "That's how Mick and Keith first got close as well, on the train coming back from college. They noticed each other's record collection and it was, 'Hey, you've got Muddy Waters. You must be a good guy, let's form a band.'"
This 2LP version includes liner notes by music journalist Colin Larkin. The album cover artwork comes courtesy of Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood who has added his own personal twist to the project by painting his interpretation of a Bluesman. Confessin' The Blues is a real musical education from those who know the genre best, the greatest living band on the planet, The Rolling Stones.
"The Blues. It's probably the most important thing that America has ever given to the World." - Keith Richards
• Double LP
• Liner notes by music journalist Colin Larkin
• Period inner sleeves
• Iconic imagery of the Blues legends
• Matte Laminate Finish
• Gatefold Jacket
• Cover artwork by Ronnie Wood
• 10% of BMG's net receipts from the sale of this album will be donated to Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation
1. Muddy Waters - Rollin' Stone
2. Howlin' Wolf - Little Red Rooster (aka The Red Rooster)
3. Elmore James w/ Sonny Boy Williamson II - Dust My Broom
4. Slim Harpo - I'm A King Bee
5. Bo Diddley - You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover
6. Chuck Berry - Little Queenie
1. John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen
2. Little Walter - I Hate To See You Go
3. Jimmy Reed - Bright Lights, Big City
4. Robert Johnson - Love In Vain Blues
5. Mississippi Fred McDowell - You Gotta Move
1. Howlin' Wolf - Just Like I Treat You
2. Eddie Taylor - Ride 'Em On Down
3. Little Walter - Blue And Lonesome
4. Lightnin' Slim - Hoodoo Blues
5. Bo Diddley - Crawdad
1. Little Walter - Just Your Fool
2. Magic Sam - All Your Love
3. Big Maceo - Worried Life Blues
4. Amos Milburn - Down The Road Apiece
5. Jay McShann & Walter Brown - Confessin' The Blues
10% of BMGs Net Receipts* from the sale of this album with a minimum of £1.25 UK pounds sterling will be donated to Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation (registered as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization in the United States).
*The charitable donation is calculated on Net Receipts being amounts equal to monies actually received by BMG from the sale of this album after deductions of credits for returns and VAT (or similar sales tax).