I met Mac [Rebennack, aka Dr. John] in 2012 to hear from the horse's mouth why he wanted to make this record. He told me "Louis Armstrong visited me in a dream and all he said was 'do my music your way' - that's all he said. That was the whole f**kin' dream." So that was that. Who could refuse? Mac was pleased to have his dream realized and pass the torch, fuelled by his own funknology, because he was born and grew up in the 3rd Ward of New Orleans - exactly where Louis Armstrong lit the flame. What a privilege for me to have been in the right place at the RIGHT time to help make it happen. This limited-edition is released worldwide by courtesy of Concord Music Group Inc on the first anniversary of Mac's passing to commemorate the lives of Mac Rebennack and Louis Armstrong - without both of whom the path of musical discovery would have been very poorly lit. - Malcolm Mills, June 2020
'Ske-Dat-De-Dat: The Spirit Of Satch' honors Louis Armstrong's musical genius as well as his effervescent personality with thirteen quintessential numbers drawn from various phases of Armstrong's five-decade career. Dr. John is joined by a stellar supporting cast that manages to update the material while maintaining the music's timeless emotional appeal. In addition to Dr. John's trademark vocals and piano, and backup from some of New Orleans' finest musicians, Ske-Dat-De-Dat: The Spirit Of Satch features a stellar assortment of guest singers and players.
Bonnie Raitt shares the spotlight on a swinging reading of "I've Got The World On A String", Ledisi and the McCrary Sisters lend gospel authority to "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen", Anthony Hamilton is featured on a mournful "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child", Shemekia Copeland trades verses with Dr. John on a playful reworking of "Sweet Hunk O' Trash", and the Blind Boys of Alabama lend their powerful voices to "What a Wonderful World" and "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams".
Ske-Dat-De-Dat is a solid tribute to Armstrong. It does take chances and almost always pulls them off thanks to Dr. John's signature blend of musical imagination, wit, and savvy cool.
- Limited Edition
- Vinyl LP
- Made in the EU
- What A Wonderful World featuring Nicholas Payton and The Blind Boys Of Alabama
- Mack The Knife featuring Terence Blanchard and Mike Ladd
- Tight Like This featuring Arturo Sandoval and Telmary
- I've Got The World On A String featuring Bonnie Raitt
- Gut Bucket Blues featuring Nicholas Payton
- Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child featuring Anthony Hamilton
- That's My Home featuring Wendell Brunius and The McCrary Sisters
- Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen featuring Ledesi and The McCrary Sisters
- Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams featuring Terence Blanchard and The Blind Boys of Alabama
- Dippermouth Blues featuring James "12" Andrews
- Sweet Hunk Of Trash featuring Shemekia Copeland
- Memories Of You featuring Arturo Sandoval
- When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You) featuring Dirty Dozen Brass Band