Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings Join In the Reworking Of "Tripwire"!
Wise Up: Thought is the remix EP companion to the album "Wise Up Ghost", the genre-defying collaborative tour de force from Elvis Costello and The Roots. On the album, Costello and Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson stirred this musical pot of gumbo, mixing together elements of soul, funk, hip hop, punk, and afro bet. "Wise Up: Thought: EP is a deconstructive plate of their soul stew and features genre-specific remixes and reworks that play off those included in the album's sonic landscape. J Dilla disciple and Stones Throw Records beat maker/drummer Karriem Riggins contributes 4 remixes on the hip hop front. Riggins' remix of Cinco Minutos Con Vos features the Roots rapper Black Thought going toe to toe with Costello with his own brand of lyrical wordplay. Daptone Records artists Antibalas (of Fela! the Musical fame) contribute an afro beat reworking of lead single "Walk Us Uptown". Daptone Records' own Menahan Street Band (a collective featuring members of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings and El Michaels Affair) come with the Memphis-to-Muscle Schoals slow funk flavor in their rework of the song "Tripwire".
Elvis Costello, guitar, vocals
Menahan Street Band
1. Cinco Minutos Con Vos (Karriem Riggins Remix)
(featuring Black Thought of The Roots)
2. Sugar Won't Work (Karriem Riggins Interlude) (Instrumental)
3. Come The Meantimes (Karriem Riggins Remix)
4. The Puppet Has Cut His Strings (Karriem Riggins Interlude) (Instrumental)
1. Tripwire (Menahan Street Band Rework)
2. Viceroy's Road (Karriem Riggins Interlude) (Instrumental)
3. Walk Us Uptown (Antibalas Rework - Chico Mann Edit)