RCA Living Stereo the gold standard for top quality orchestral performance and sound!
An early classic for Decca/RCA engineered by none other than Kenneth Wilkinson, who became so closely identified with the Decca sound that he retired when PolyGram acquired the company in 1980. Music of Grieg & Sibelius from the late great Charles Mackerras and the London Symphony Orchestra. The strings here are cool, crisp and extremely transparent with wonderful inner detail within the choirs.
Recorded in Walthamstow Assembly Hall
Producer: Michael Williamson
Engineer: Kenneth Wilkinson
Super Audio CD
SACD Stereo SACD Layer
This Hybrid SACD contains a 'Red Book' Stereo CD Layer which is playable on most conventional CD Players!
Mastered by Willem Makkee from the original master tapes
London Proms Symphony Orchestra
Charles Mackerras, conductor
Edvard Grieg (1873-1907)
1. Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Op. 65, No. 6
Jean Sibelius (1865-1957)
2. King Christian II, Op. 27, Suite For Orchestra - Elegie - Musette
3. Pelleas and Melisande, Op. 46, Suite For Orchestra - No. 7, Entr'acte
4. Two Melodies, Op. 63, No. 2 - Cow-Keeper's Tune; Country Dance
5. Finlandia, Op. 26 No. 7
6. Valse Triste from "Kuolema," Op. 44
7. Two Elegiac Melodies, Op. 34 - Heart Wounds - The Last Spring
(Recorded in England)