Forget Black Friday, Franksgiving is the real event as November 27 ushers in the long-awaited release of Alex Winter's highly acclaimed documentary, Zappa, about the prolific genius composer, free speech activist, cultural ambassador to Czechoslovakia and legendary musician, Frank Zappa, as well as the surprise digital release of the corresponding Zappa Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. A perfect complement to the film, the soundtrack features 68 tracks.
Today also sees the launch of pre-orders for several physical releases of the soundtrack including in a deluxe 5LP box set planned for May 7, 2021, which will be available on 180-gram black vinyl The deluxe edition showcases Zappa's unique sonic brilliance and nearly every song heard in the film, including 12 previously unreleased recordings from The Vault, which include performances from the Whisky A Go-Go in 1968, the Fillmore West in '70 and Zappa's famed performance of "Dancin' Fool" on "Saturday Night Live" in '78.
The soundtrack spans Zappa's expansive catalog with 25 additional songs from across his peerless and influential career, from his seminal 1966 debut double album with the Mothers of Invention, Freak Out!, to the final release of his lifetime, 1993's The Yellow Shark, a live orchestral album performed by the Ensemble Modern in Europe in 1992.
The soundtrack features songs from Zappa's record labels Straight and Bizarre Records such as "No Longer Umpire" from Alice Cooper's debut album, Pretties For You, originally released on Straight in 1969; "The Captain's Fat Theresa Shoes" by GTO's, from the all-girl group's one and only album, Permanent Damage, produced by Zappa. It also includes two classical compositions by Zappa's lifetime inspirations Edgard Varese and Igor Stravinsky as well as several interview clips. The soundtrack is rounded out with 26 original score cues newly composed by John Frizzell for the documentary.
A 2LP edition on 180-gram clear vinyl will also be available, collecting together eight of the unreleased recordings from the Zappa archive, the SNL performance and 13 recordings from Zappa's extensive recording career.
With unfettered access to the Zappa Trust and all archival footage, "Zappa" explores the private life behind the mammoth musical career that never shied away from the political turbulence of its time. Winter's assembly features appearances by Zappa's widow Gail Zappa and several of his musical collaborators including Mike Keneally, Ian Underwood, Steve Vai, Pamela Des Barres, Bunk Gardner, David Harrington, Scott Thunes, Ruth Underwood, Ray White and others. Announced on Kickstarter in 2016, the film became the highest-funded documentary in the crowdfunding site's history.
Taken together "Zappa" and the companion soundtrack offer a riveting, revealing and emotional portrait of Frank Zappa, a trailblazer, iconoclast, virtuosic musician and fearless artist who forever changed music and culture with his unconventional and uncompromising vision. From his early psychedelic rock beginnings to his avant-garde experimentation, jazz-rock explorations, symphonic suites and satirical send-ups to his conceptual, compositional and technological innovations, Zappa shattered the norms every step of the way and his influence and ethos continues to reverberate as strongly today as ever.
- Double Vinyl LP
- Crystal Clear Vinyl
- Rare & Unreleased Tracks
- Motherly Love (from Freak Out!) - The Mothers of Invention
- Memories Of El Monte (Live from the Whisky 1968) - The Mothers of Invention (Previously Unreleased)
- Oh! In The Sky (Live from the Whisky 1968) - The Mothers of Invention (Previously Unreleased)
- The Duke (Live from the Whisky 1968) - The Mothers of Invention (Previously Unreleased)
- How Could I Be Such A Fool? (from Mystery Disc) - Frank Zappa
- Absolutely Free (from We're Only In It For The Money) - The Mothers of Invention
- Call Any Vegetable (Excerpts) (Live at Fillmore West - November 6, 1970) - Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention (Previously Unreleased)
- Road Ladies (from Chunga's Revenge) - Frank Zappa
- Cheepnis (Live at the Roxy, 12/10/73, Show 1) (from The Roxy Performances) - Frank Zappa
- Apostrophe' (Live in Los Angeles, Rehearsal Hall - June 21, 1974) - Frank Zappa (Previously Unreleased)
- Sofa (1977 Mix, Live) (from Zappa In New York 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) - Frank Zappa
- The Black Page #1 (Piano Version) (from Zappa In New York 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) - Frank Zappa
- Mo's Vacation (Live in Munich 1978) - Frank Zappa (Previously Unreleased)
- Dancin' Fool (Live on "Saturday Night Live" - October 21, 1978) - Frank Zappa (Previously Unreleased)
- Valley Girl (from Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch) - Frank Zappa & Moon Zappa
- The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing (Live at The Pier, NYC - 1984) - Frank Zappa (Previously Unreleased)
- H.R. 2911 (from Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention) - Frank Zappa
- Envelopes (1983 Original Vinyl Mix) - Frank Zappa, London Symphony Orchestra (Rare)
- Get Whitey (from The Yellow Shark) - Frank Zappa
- G-Spot Tornado (from The Yellow Shark) - Frank Zappa
- Watermelon In Easter Hay (Live, 1978) (from Frank Zappa Plays The Music of Frank Zappa - A Memorial Tribute) - Frank Zappa