This item not eligible for any further discount offers!
Soul Station is a quartet gem from 1960, featuring a stellar rhythm section including Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Art Blakey.
If the title of "Mr. Blue Note" had been given out to a performer, tenor-saxophonist Hank Mobley would have been its recipient. Mobley's smooth tone and style defined the hard bop era. He put plenty of emotion and intensity into every note he played. During 1955-70, Blue Note's greatest years, Mobley led 25 Blue Note albums and appeared as a sideman on many others. Soul Station, a quartet gem from 1960, is unusual for Hank in that Mobley is the only horn, heading a group that includes pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Art Blakey; needless to say, a stellar rhythm section! This recording features Hank Mobley at the peak of his powers, taking lengthy solos full of passion and drive. His four originals include his most famous composition, "This I Dig Of You", which he squeezes for every ounce of its expressive power. Hank plays with heartbreaking lyricism on "If I Should Lose You". If proof were ever needed of Hank Mobley's greatness, Soul Station is perfect evidence.
SHM-SACD (Super High Material SACD) is the ultimate Super Audio CD that utilizes the materials and technologies that were developed for the SHM-CD to further enhance the audio-resolution. These discs are made with polycarbonate developed for the screen of the liquid crystal display. As it has a higher transparency, players can read the signal more faithfully. Also, it excels in fluidity, which enables you to cast a more accurate pit. What works wonders for a low resolution format such as CD should offer even greater sonic improvements in a real high resolution format such as SACD.
• Super High Material Super Audio CD
• SHM-SACD Stereo SACD Layer
• Single-Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, to secure enough reflectance and not to compress DSD file.
• Label of the disc is printed with a special green ink called 'Onsho Shiyou,' which minimizes diffuse reflection.
• Carefully selected master audio is used, from existing DSD files to newly converted from analog tapes.
• This Single-Layer SHM-SACD can only be played on a Super Audio CD Player! It will NOT play on conventional CD Players!
• Cardboard Slipcase with obi strip
Hank Mobley, tenor sax
Art Blakey, drums
Wynton Kelly, piano
Paul Chambers, bass
2. This I Dig of You
3. Dig Dis
4. Split Feelin's
5. Soul Station
6. If I Should Lose You