Celebrating 60 years of Impulse Records. A Deluxe 4-LP Box Set with tracks by John Coltrane, Quincy Jones, Charles Mingus, Oliver Nelson, Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp and other legendary Impulse Artists. This release includes liner notes by Greg Tate and A.B. Spellman. The LP box is housed in a high-quality archival portfolio cast with a museum drop front, includes a magazine style booklet featuring original impulse! ads and artist photos, as well as an impulse! vinyl slip mat.
Orange and black. Fire and ebony. Fury and pride. Wearing its signature colors proudly and raising its exclamation point high, Impulse! Records was the go-to label for music that harnessed the searching and political stand-taking of the Sixties. Launched in 1961, Impulse grew to become an inherent part of the era's velocity as well as its volume, pulling jazz into the age of Black Power, Afrocentricity, and Spiritual Expansion. In its balance of tradition and transition, it bridged the golden age of jazz, that brief window from the late Fifties to the Seventies when players representing every jazz era were alive and active - from Louis Armstrong to Albert Ayler, from the legends of lore to a new generation of energy players. Impulse treated all its musicians as innovators, revolutionaries even - from swing and bebop, to free and Afrofuturist.
The performances on Impulse Records: Music, Message and the Moment draw their staying power from a wide embrace of styles and sounds, as well as a tight focus on a historic moment when the promise of change was in the air and the message of racial harmony was in the music. Today that music has lost none of its relevance: the promise still deferred, the message still on time.
...A collection celebrating Impulse's deep-digging support of artists who scored We The People's SingFight-ing for social political and artists' self-determination in a critical time of beatdowns, breakthroughs and cosmically-centered aspirations.
In many ways, this collection is a mural in sound of the activist's stimulation of the Sixties and Seventies...we need this scope of sound again: We need the horns to scream of stout resistance, and we need the bands to sing to us of the righteous beauty of our souls.
- Numbered, Limited Edition
- Deluxe 4LP Box Set
- Liner Notes by Greg Tate & A.B. Spellman
- LP Box Housed in a High-Quality Archival Portfolio Cast With Museum Drop Front
- Magazine-Style Booklet - Original Impulse! Ads & Artist Photos
- Impulse! Slip Mat
- Pressed at Quality Record Pressings
- The John Coltrane Quartet - Africa
- Max Roach - Garvey's Ghost
- Quincy Jones and his Orchestra - Hard Sock Dance
- John Coltrane - Up 'Gainst the Wall
- Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison Sextet - Just Us Blues
- John Coltrane - Alabama
- Charles Mingus - Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul
- Shirley Scott Trio - Freedom Dance
- Yusef Lateef - Sister Mamie
- Archie Shepp - Malcolm, Malcolm - Semper Malcolm
- Stanley Turrentine - Good Lookin' Out
- Earl Hines - Black and Tan Fantasy
- Oliver Nelson - The Rights of All
- Pharoah Sanders - The Creator Has a Master Plan (edit)
- John Coltrane & Alice Coltrane - Reverend King
- The Ahmad Jamal Trio - The Awakening
- Albert Ayler - Music Is the Healing Force of the Universe
- Charlie Haden - We Shall Overcome
- Alice Coltrane - Blue Nile
- Pharoah Sanders - Astral Traveling
- Archie Shepp - Blues for Brother George Jackson
- Michael White - Lament (Mankind)
- Dewey Redman - Imani
- Marion Brown - Bismillahi 'Rrahmani 'Rrahim
- John Handy - Hard Work