Covers Album From My Morning Jacket Frontman On Vinyl LP!
Featuring Covers Of Songs By The Beach Boys, Sonny & Cher, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan & More!
After releasing the politically charged solo album Eternally Even in 2016, My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James returns with Tribute To 2, a collection of cover songs that reverberate with fresh meaning. Blurring the boundaries of time and genre, James interprets songs made famous by artists including The Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher, Dianne Izzo, Ray Noble and Al Bowlly, Elvis Presley, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Abey Lincoln.
The LP's first track is a cover of the Beach Boys' "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times". According to Pitchfork, James recorded the cover over a sample of Isaac Hayes' "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", itself a cover of the Jimmy Webb song popularized by Glen Campbell. In a press release, James explains that he "ripped apart 'By the Time I Get to Phoenix' and put it back together again as 'I Just Wasn't Made for These Times'" while listening to the master tapes for Hayes' Hot Buttered Soul.
"'I Just Wasn't Made for These Times' is a song that has spoken to me very deeply from the first time I heard it," James explains. "So often, many of us just feel like we don't fit in, like somehow we were dropped into the wrong life at the wrong time. This song has such a beautiful way of resonating with that energy and relating to the pain of life on earth, but also offering hope and comfort in the beautiful sounds of togetherness."
Limited time download
1. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (The Beach Boys)
2. Baby Don't Go (Sonny & Cher)
3. Wild Honey (Dianne Izzo)
4. Midnight, The Stars And You (Ray Noble & Al Bowlly)
5. Crying In The Chapel (Elvis Presley)
1. Funny How Time Slips Away (Willie Nelson)
2. Love Is The Sweetest Thing (Ray Noble & Al Bowlly)
3. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob Dylan)
4. Lucky Man (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
5. The World Is Falling Down (Abbey Lincoln)
6. Blue Skies (Irving Berlin)