Start spreading the news: Liza Minnelli's long-lost live album recorded in the very heart of New York, New York is getting the deluxe vinyl treatment from Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records!
When the Oscar, Emmy, and Tony-winning superstar (and future Grammy Legend) took the stage at the legendary Carnegie Hall on September 4, 1979, the concert was already a hotly-anticipated event. It would be the first of eleven consecutive shows through September 14 - the longest run in the Hall's history. Not only that, but every show in the five-level, 2,804-seat venue was sold out. (This record stood until 1987, when an artist played three straight weeks of sold-out shows there. That artist? Liza Minnelli.) Liza had the foresight to record the concerts; two years later, in 1981, she began selling the limited release at her live dates.
The Live at Carnegie Hall double album preserved Liza's electrifying, roof-raising evening from start to finish, including definitive versions of familiar showstoppers such as John Kander and Fred Ebb's "Cabare", "But the World Goes 'Round", and "Theme From 'New York, New York'' as well as fresh versions of contemporary pop and classic Broadway standards from luminaries including George and Ira Gershwin, Jule Styne and Stephen Sondheim, Barry Manilow, and Melissa Manchester.
But, deprived of proper retail distribution, the album never reached a wide audience - until now! Liza Minnelli's Live in New York 1979 (newly titled to avoid confusion with Liza's 1987 Carnegie Hall album) includes 2 LPs housed inside a gatefold jacket featuring the absolutely stunning original cover art by Andy Warhol. The insert has new introductions by both Ms. Minnelli and Great American Songbook champion Michael Feinstein, both of whom served as executive producers for this release, plus photos of the artist and liner notes from reissue producers Joe Marchese and Charles L. Granata.
The audio has been fully remastered from the original tapes by Mike Milchner at SonicVision for a front-row musical experience. Those little town blues will surely melt away as you relive this once-in-a-lifetime evening with an extraordinary artist at the thrilling height of her powers. Red vinyl edition, never before available at music retail.
- Limited Edition
- Red Vinyl
- Double LP
- Remastered from the Original Tapes by Mike Milchner at SonicVision
- Gatefold Jacket
- Original Cover Art by Andy Warhol
- Insert with New Introductions by Liza Minnelli & Michael Feinstein, Artist Photos & Liner Notes by Joe Marchese & Charles L. Granata
- How Long Has This Been Going On / It's a Miracle
- My Ship / The Man I Love
- Some People
- Come In from the Rain
- London Town
- New York Medley: I Guess the Lord Must Be in New York City / Take Me Back to Manhattan / Manhattan / New York City Rhythm / 42nd Street / Lullaby of Broadway / On Broadway / New York, New York / Every Street's a Boulevard / Theme from "New York, New York"
- Someone to Watch over Me
- Twelve Fellas
- You and I / The Honeymoon Is Over / Happy Anniversary
- City Lights
- Shine On Harvest Moon
- But the World Goes 'Round