It's "Marvin Gaye Day" in Washington, D.C., and history is made at the recently-opened Kennedy Center when Marvin performs for the first time in years. Experience the once-in-a-lifetime thrill of his 1972 performance of the groundbreaking album, What's Going On. For decades this extraordinary recording sat on the shelves. Now, here it is, newly mixed, freshly released and available on vinyl for the first time.
What's Going On Live has been newly mixed by John Morales at M+M Mix Studios and mastered by Alex Abrash at AA Mastering. The package includes rare images from Gaye's performance as well as new liner notes by his biographer, David Ritz, who describes it as "an invaluable and vibrant historical document marking a milestone in the artist's career."
The album includes the only known live recordings of Gaye performing four songs: "That's The Way Love Is" and "You" (which opened the Washington concert as part of a meditative 13-minute medley), "Right On" and "Wholy Holy". A delay in switching reel-to-reel tapes during the concert meant that his performance of the What's Going On hit "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" was not successfully recorded.
- Double LP
- First time on vinyl
- The only live performance of groundbreaking album
- Newly mixed by John Morales at M+M Mix Studios
- Mastered by Alex Abrash at AA Mastering
- Pressed at Quality Record Pressings
- Gatefold jacket
- Rare images from Gaye's performance
- New liner notes by Gaye biographer David Ritz
- Sixties Medley: That's The Way Love Is / You / I Heard It Through The Grapevine / Little Darling (I Need You) / You're All I Need To Get By / Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing / Your Precious Love / Pride And Joy / Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
- Right On
- Wholy Holy
- Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
- What's Going On
- What's Happening Brother
- Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)
- Save The Children
- God Is Love
- Stage Dialogue
- Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) (Reprise)
- What's Going On (Reprise)