Opus 3 happily present their "40th Anniversary Celebration Album" which is very different from all previous samplers"!
"The proof is in the pudding, the old adage goes. And at Opus 3, a Swedish record label whose catalogue includes SACDS, vinyl LPs, and first generation reel-to-reel tapes, a devotion to detail and commitment to the time-honored analog traditions, including the use of vintage mics and the Blumlein method and direct-stream digital (DSD), has led to some tasty offerings. You can hear the results on the label's recent 40th Anniversary Celebration Album, an 18-track compilation that blends blues, jazz, and classical recordings. On this eclectic sampler, New York City bluesman Eric Bibb rubs elbows with the Stockholm Guitar Quartet, the art song of Swedish vibraphonist Lars Erstrand, and the sonorous rumble of avant-classical organist Mattias Wager."
"...three-dimensional depth of field, natural timbre, and dynamic range. On the anniversary sampler, which is available as two 45rpm vinyl LPs or a hybrid stereo SACD, you find those qualities in the warmth and clarity of the acoustic guitar and unaffected voice of Yamina on the bossa-nova track "Gentle Rain," from the How Deep Is The Ocean album; the dreamy resonator that hovers above the mix on the bluesy instrumental "Bentonia," from Tiny Island, Vol. II; and the gentle pleading of Eric Bibb's "Going Home," from his critically acclaimed Rainbow People. You hear them on the jazz staple "'Round Midnight," the rollicking electric blues of B.B. Leon & Triple Threat's "Hail Storm" from Blues Barn, and the 1930s swing-band arrangement of "Indian Cradle Song" from the quirky Kust-bandet. And you hear those qualities on Kjell Ohman's dynamic B3 organ-driven soul-jazz on "Blues Opus 3," from The Hammond Connection, and especially on the Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble's mesmerizing performance of J.S. Bach's "Komm, suBer Tod," from the stunning Musica Sacra. Tasty, indeed." - Greg Cahill, The Absolute Sound, March 2018
The Opus 3 40th Anniversary Celebration Album not only looks back into their 40 year recording history, it also looks into the future! You will find tracks from 3 different albums before their release.
Two tracks from the album "Blues Barn" album, with B.B. Leon and Triple Treat - a real rock/blues album.
Two tracks from "Opus 3 Artists Sing Tony Sheridan". He was the man the Beatles met and recorded with in Hamburg before they broke through! He has written so many great songs which is to be found on this album!
Two tracks from "Tiny Island Vol. II". This group need no closer presentation - behind Eric Bibb on his breakthrough album; "Spirit & The Blues" and also on "Good Stuff".
One track from the upcoming album from the band Kustbandet which was one of their earliest groups recorded by Opus 3 in Stockholm way back in 1975 but that recording is only available as a MasterCopy or in DSD128
180g vinyl LP
1. Numbers On The Sun - from "Opus 3 Artists Sing Tony Sheridan" (vocals: Bottleneck John)
2. Gentle Rain - from Yamina, "How Deep Is The Ocean"
3. Bentonia - from "Tiny Island Vol. II"
4. Going Home - from Eric Bibb, "Rainbow People"
1. Walking In The Shadows Of The Blues - from Bottleneck John, "All Around Man"
2. Hail Storm - from B.B. Leon & Triple Treat, "Blues Barn"
3. Open Road - from "Opus 3 Artists Sing Tony Sheridan" (vocals: Maria Winther)
4. Round Midnight - from Johan Dielemans Trio, "Round Midnight"
1. Maria - from B.B. Leon & Triple Treat, "Blues Barn"
2. Let Me Call You Sweetheart - from Lars Erstrand With Guests, "The Complete Songs"
3. Indian Cradle Song - from "Kustbandet"
4. My Foolish Heart - from Yamina, "How Deep Is The Ocean"
1. Blues Opus 3 - from Kjell Ohman, "The Hammond Connection"
2. Lonesome Valley - from Bottleneck John, "All Around Man"
3. Mias Advent - from "Tiny Island Vol. II"
Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809-1847)
4. Allegro di molto - from Stockholm Guitar Quartet, "Mendelssohn-Brahms-Debussy"
Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
5. Komm susser Tod - from The Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble, "Musica Sacra"