The groundbreaking pop trio, Ben Folds Five, release of their first-ever live album Ben Folds Five Live via ImaVeePee Records/Sony Music Entertainment. Recorded in 2012-2013 on their first tour in more than a decade, this set - available on double vinyl - is comprised of high-energy live versions of some of the band's most beloved classics.
Ben Folds Five Live was recorded while the band was out touring in support of their latest record, The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind. It debuted in the top 10 of the Billboard Top 200, making it the highest debut of their career. It is the band's fourth record and first in 13 years.
The media reaction to The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind was fantastic. SPIN claimed, "Folds sounds invigorated to have a rock band behind him again...there is a weight and a whomp to the songs." The Onion AV Club hailed "Mind sounds exactly what a mature Ben Folds Five record should sound like: hard-won wisdom and withering observations with an unabashedly sentimental core," and American Songwriter said the record brings out "the muscle and mischief of Folds' best music...it's perfect, quintessential Ben Folds Five." NPR has weighed in on the record a number of times, including a feature on All Things Considered, an appearance on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!, a performance on World Cafe and a live interview on On Point.
Ben Folds Five (Ben Folds - piano, Darren Jessee - drums, Robert Sledge - bass) were among the most distinctive and inventive bands of the alternative era, beloved for their kinetic live shows and piano-powered popcraft. The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind made it plain that the years apart have only served to amplify the band's already estimable gifts.
2012's "Last Summer on Earth Tour" was met with huge praise. Rolling Stone called it "one of the 10 hottest summer package tours of 2012," and Entertainment Weekly spotlighted it on their "2012 Summer Must List."
First Official Live Album
15 Songs from the 2012-2013 World Tour
Limited time download insert
Mastered by Steve Marcussen
Ben Folds, piano
Robert Sledge, bass
Darren Jessee, drums
LP1 - Side One:
1. Jackson Cannery (Live at The Warfield, San Francisco, CA 1/31/13)
2. Erase Me (Live at The Warfield, San Francisco, CA 1/31/13)
3. Selfless, Cold and Composed (Live at House Of Blues, Boston, MA 10/13/12)
4. Uncle Walter (Live at Kool Haus, Toronto, Canada 10/5/12)
LP1 - Side Two:
1. Landed (Live at The Warfield, San Francisco, CA 1/31/13)
2. Sky High (Live at The Barton Theatre, Adelaide, Australia 11/16/12)
3. One Chord Blues/Billie's Bounce (Live at The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA 1/26/13)
4. Do It Anyway/Overture-Heaven on Their Minds (Live at O2 Academy, Brixton, London, UK 12/4/12)
LP2 - Side Three:
1. Brick (Live at The Warfield, San Franciso, CA 1/31/13)
2. Draw A Crowd (Live at Capitol, Port Chester, NY 10/9/12)
3. Narcolepsy (Live at Hitomi Kinen Hall, Tokyo, Japan 2/16/13)
LP2 - Side Four:
1. Underground (Live at Mielparque Hall, Osaka, Japan 2/22/13)
2. Tom and Mary (Live at O2 Academy, Bristol, UK 11/23/12)
3. One Angry Dwarf and Two Hundred Solemn Faces (Live at The Warfield, San Francisco, CA 1/26/13)
4. Song for the Dumped (Live at The Barton Theatre, Adelaide, Australia 11/16/12)