Coming March 31, 2023 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!
10" Vinyl 5Disc Box Set!
Mastering & Audio Restoration by Joe Tarantino!
30 Tracks from Jazz Legends Charlie Parker, Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, Milt Jackson & More!
Analog Planet Rated 10/10 Music, 8/10 Sonics!
The Birth of Bop is a collection celebrating the enduring legacy of Savoy Records Bop catalog spanning 1944-1949. Presented on 5x 10" Vinyl with audio restoration by Joe Tarantino and new liner notes by GRAMMY®-winning writer and broadcaster Neil Tesser. The set Includes 30 tracks from such jazz legends as Charlie Parker, Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, Milt Jackson, Allen Eager, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis.
I've got to be honest with you, folks — I actually teared up a bit when I opened this package, upon taking out the first disc and realizing the records were packed in a simple brown paper inner-sleeve akin to the kind of sleeves that existed back in the 1940s and 1950s for housing 10-inch records... the brown sleeves here are really a nice touch, underscoring the fact that the producers of The Birth of Bop box set are thoughtful, knowing, and understanding of the record collector's mindset. The vinyl pressings herein — from GZ in the Czech Republic, reportedly one of the only facilities that still manufactures 10-inch LPs — are excellent. These standard-weight black vinyl discs are very quiet, and they sound terrific. And, yes, they are well-centered. Again, these lovely little LPs are likely to be far superior to an original edition of The Birth of Bop, even if you happen to have access to a truly mint condition copy... the bottom line is this — if you love classic jazz and bebop in particular, and you want to experience this important music in a manner close to what it might have been like in the early 1950s, The Birth of Bop is an absolute essential must-have for your vinyl collection.
- 5 Disc Box Set
- 10" Vinyl
- Celebrates the Influential Early Savoy Records Catalog
- Includes tracks by Legendary Artists Including Charlie Parker, Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, Milt Jackson, Allen Eager, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & More
- Mastering & Audio Restoration by Joe Tarantino at Joe Tarantino Mastering
- Booklet with Vintate Photos & New Liner Notes by GRAMMY®-Winning Writer & Broadcaster Neil Tesser
- Made in Czech Republic
The Birth Of Bop, Volume 1 - Savoy Records (MG 9022), Originally issued 1952
- Romance Without Finance - Charlie Parker
- Dexter's Minor Mad - Dexter Gordon
- Jay Bird - J.J. Johnson
- Hearing Bells - Milt Jackson
- Chase 'N' Lion (Chase'n The Lion) - Leo Parker
- Stan's Mood - Stan Getz
The Birth Of Bop, Volume 2 - Savoy Records (MG 9023), Originally issued 1952
- Hollerin' And Screamin' (Fatso) - Fats Navarro
- Church Mouse - Allen Eager
- Always - Kai Winding
- Byas A Drink - Don Byas
- Jay Jay - J.J. Johnson
- Long Tall Dexter - Dexter Gordon
The Birth Of Bop, Volume 3 - Savoy Records (MG 9024), Originally issued 1953
- Little Benny (King Kong) - Budd Johnson
- Mad Be Bop - J.J. Johnson
- Bubu - Milt Jackson
- Solitude - Leo Parker
- Don't Worry 'Bout Me - Stan Getz
- Maternity (Lard Pot) - Fats Navarro
The Birth Of Bop, Volume 4 - Savoy Records (MG 9025), Originally issued 1953
- Donald Jay - Allen Eager
- Saxon - Kai Winding
- Dee Dee's Dance - Budd Johnson
- Coppin' The Bop - J.J. Johnson
- Junior - Milt Jackson
- Dexter Digs In - Dexter Gordon
The Birth Of Bop, Volume 5 - Savoy Records (MG 9026), Originally issued 1953
- Unmeditated - Allen Eager
- The Lion's Roar (Lion Roars) - Leo Parker
- Stealin' Trash - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis
- Pete's Beat - Roy Porter
- Pumpernickel - Serge Chaloff
- Blowin' For Kicks - Morris Lane