The 1993 science fiction comedy film, produced by Lorne Michaels, was based on the Saturday Night Live comedy sketches starring Dan Aykroyd, Jane Curtin and Laraine Newman. Michelle Burke replaced Newman in the role of the daughter for the movie.
The album featured a number of great tracks many of which had stories tied to it specifically. No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) by k.d. lang and Andy Bell (of Erasure fame) had performed the Platinum release originally made famous as a duet by Barbara Streisand and Donna Summer for the Brit Awards and then recorded for inclusion on the Soundtrack. Red Hot Chili Peppers supplied Soul To Squeeze, an unused track from Blood Sugar Sex Magic which had been a B-side for Under The Bridge. Released as a single from Coneheads, it went to number one for five weeks on the Modern Rock chart. Michael Monroe (Hanoi Rocks) and Slash teamed up to record the old Steppenwolf gem, Magic Carpet Ride. Barenaked Ladies cover Public Enemys Fight The Power. R.E.M. also contributed the B-side to Drive, Its A Free World, Baby.
• Vinyl LP
1. Magic Carpet Ride - Slash and Michael Monroe
2. Tainted Love - Soft Cell
3. No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) - k.d. lang and Andy Bell
4. Kodachrome - Paul Simon
5. Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Morten Harket
6. It's A Free World Baby - R.E.M.
1. Soul To Squeeze - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. Fight the Power - Barenaked Ladies
3. Little Renee - Digable Planets
4. Chale Jao - Babble
5. Conehead Love (with Nan Schaefer) - Beldar & Prymaat