TAS Rated 4/5 Music, 3.5/5 Sonics in the February 2021 Issue of The Absolute Sound!
Marc Bolan has been famously cited as a major influence by some of the biggest names in music from David Bowie to Johnny Marr.
Bolan's golden era was in the late sixties and seventies when he was the biggest selling singles artist since the Beatles, movie star and the electric spark behind Glam Rock. He died in 1977 aged just 29, after a car crash in Barnes, London, but his reputation has only grown.
Later this year Marc will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame and 50 years since the first T.Rex single and album, illustrious fans have gathered to pay tribute and argue for his place amongst the music greats.
For 'AngelHeaded Hipster', a collection of major stars including Nick Cave, U2 featuring Elton John, Joan Jett, Peaches and Marc Almond have reinterpreted and reimagined some of his greatest tracks including "Jeepster", "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" and "Ride A White Swan".
Every track reveals a different Marc and offers a unique appreciation of a multifaceted musician, writer, poet and composer.
AngelHeaded Hipster was lovingly created by the late Hal Willner, who passed away on April 7, 2020 from COVID-19. The acclaimed music producer, who "for nearly four decades bent and shaped the dimensions of almost-popular music" (New York Times), produced albums for artists including Lou Reed, Marianne Faithfull and William S. Burroughs, and concept albums drawing upon the music of Thelonious Monk, Kurt Weill, vintage Disney films and others.
T. Rex's hit 1971 album, Electric Warrior, gets heavily tapped, but all phases of Bolan's career are represented. The standout performances - including Nick Cave's 'Cosmic Dancer,' Devendra Banhart's 'Scenescof,' Kesha's 'Children of the Revolution,' and Emily Haines' 'Ballrooms of Mars' - far outnumber the less compelling covers, such as U2's 'Bang a Gong.' Some of his lyrics remain dated, but his song structures support the ambitious stylistic treatments - folk, rock, lounge, Broadway ballad, disco, klezmer, and electronica - that succeed in expected Willner fashion.
- Double LP
- Gatefold jacket
- Made in the EU
- Children Of The Revolution - Kesha
- Cosmic Dancer - Nick Cave
- Jeepster - Joan Jett
- Scenescof - Devendra Banhart
- Life's A Gas - Lucinda Williams
- Solid Gold, Easy Action - Peaches
- Dawn Storm - BØRNS
- Hippy Gumbo - Beth Orton
- I Love To Boogie - King Khan
- Beltane Walk - Gaby Moreno
- Bang A Gong (Get It On) - U2 with Elton John
- Diamond Meadows - John Cameron Mitchell
- Ballrooms Of Mars - Emily Haines
- Main Man - Father John Misty
- Rock On - Perry Farrell
- The Street And Babe Shadow - Elysian Fields
- The Leopards - Gavin Friday
- Metal Guru - Nena
- Teenage Dream - Marc Almond
- Organ Blues - Helga Davis
- Planet Queen - Todd Rundgren
- Great Horse - Jesse Harris
- Mambo Sun - Sean Lennon & Charlotte Kemp Muhl
- Pilgrim's Tale - Victoria Williams & Julian Lennon
- Bang A Gong (Get It On) [Reprise] - David Johansen
- She Was Born To Be My Unicorn / Ride A White Swan - Maria McKee & Gavin Friday