Legacy Recordings releases Ben Folds' The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective, the long-awaited career-spanning anthology chronicling the musical adventures of pop's quintessential post-modern singer-songwriter-pianist.
The most comprehensive and definitive Ben Folds collection ever assembled, and first-ever domestic overview of Fold's music, ...A Restrospective is remastered from original master tapes, bringing together Ben's biggest hits, deep catalog fan favorites, hidden treasures, and collectible rarities while premiering the first newly recorded Ben Folds Five tracks in 11 years.
The 2 LP set features liner notes and track-by-track song annotations by Ben Folds.
"This is the album I will submit for the next Voyager to be launched into space," says Ben Folds in his liner notes for The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective. "It's my best shot at an honest assessment of where I was in each period of my career... In the end we tried to put together a collection of the unrepeatable, each recording hopefully representing a moment that was somehow otherwise beyond my ability."
A perfect point of entry for newcomers as well as a treasure trove for the initiated, The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective is a carefully curated distillation of the essence of two decades of Ben Folds music, from the break-out hits "Underground" and "Brick" with Ben Folds Five through solo work and unexpected collaborations ranging from "You Don't Know Me" with Regina Spektor to "From Above" (with lyrics by Nick Hornby, author of "High Fidelity"). Pointing to the future, the collection closes with "House", a new Ben Folds Five song recorded especially for the retrospective.
As a solo artist and leader of Ben Folds Five, Ben Folds has sold more than 3 million records over the course of his 17-year recording career.
Remastered from the Original Master Tapes!
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, ME
Includes Limited Time Free High Quality mp3 Download of entire album!
LP1 - Side One:
1. Brick (Radio Mix) (with Ben Folds Five) - Taken from Brick single - 1998
2. Annie Waits - Taken from Rockin' the Suburbs - 2001
3. Philosophy (with Ben Folds Five) - Taken from Ben Folds Five - 1995
4. Underground (with Ben Folds Five) - Taken from Ben Folds Five - 1995
LP1 - Side Two:
1. Landed (Strings version) - Taken from Landed - 2005
2. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (with Ben Folds Five) - Taken from Whatever and Ever Amen - 1997
3. Don't Change Your Plans (with Ben Folds Five) - Taken from The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner - 1999
4. The Luckiest - Taken from Rockin the Suburbs - 2001
LP2 - Side Three:
1. Smoke (with the West Australian Symphony Orchestra) - Audio taken from Live in Perth - 2005
2. Rockin' the Suburbs - Taken from Rockin the Suburbs - 2001
3. Kate (with Ben Folds Five) - Taken from Whatever and Ever Amen - 1997
4. Gracie - Taken from Songs for Silverman - 2005
5. Still Fighting It (previously unreleased)
LP2 - Side Four:
1. You Don't Know Me (feat. Regina Spektor) - Taken from Way To Normal - 2008
2. There's Always Someone Cooler Than You - Taken from Supersunnyspeedgraphic, The LP - 2006
3. Still - Taken from Over the Hedge-Music From the Motion Picture - 2006
4. From Above (with lyrics by Nick Hornby) - Taken from Lonely Avenue - 2010
5. House (with Ben Folds Five) (2011 new track - previously unreleased)