Due to a legal dispute, the release of Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse's Dark Night of The Soul album was postponed for over a year, finally legally released in 2010, well after the tragic death of Sparklehorse's Mark Linkous.
Danger Mouse (Brian Burton) and Sparklehorse (lead by the late Mark Linkous) developed the idea for the collaborative effort "Dark Night of The Soul" while working on the Sparklehorse album "Dreamt for Light Years In the Belly of A Mountain", which was released in 2006. Some songs Linkous had written were out of his comfort range so he sought out someone else to sing them. This led to the all-star guest list to include James Mercer from The Shins, and Julian Casablancas of The Strokes and Iggy Pop.
Guest artists also include the Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips, Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals, Jason Lytle of Grandaddy, Black Francis of the Pixies, David Lynch, Nina Persson of The Cardigans, Suzanne Vega, and Vic Chesnutt.
1. Revenge (feat. Flaming Lips)
2. Just War (feat. Gruff Rhys)
3. Jaykub (feat. Jason Lytle)
4. Little Girl (feat. Julian Casablancas)
5. Angel's Harp (feat. Black Francis)
6. Pain (feat. Iggy Pop)
7. Star Eyes (I Can't Catch It) - (feat. David Lynch)
8. Everytime I'm With You (feat. Jason Lytle)
9. Insane Lullaby (feat. James Mercer)
10. Daddy's Gone (feat. Mark Linkous & Nina Persson)
11. Man Who Played God (feat. Suzanne Vega)
12. Grim Augury (feat. Vic Chesnutt)
13. Dark Night of The Soul (feat. David Lynch)