I'll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute To The Velvet Underground & Nico, is a contemporary tribute to the Velvet's debut, with each of the album's songs performed by one of the band's noteworthy artistic descendants.
Featured artists include Kurt Vile & The Violators, Sharon Van Etten, Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney, Michael Stipe, Matt Berninger of The National, Courtney Barnett, King Princess, Fontaines D.C. and more.
I'll Be Your Mirror was overseen and executive produced by Hal Willner, Lou Reed's dear friend, and producer who passed away last year. Willner was a master of the tribute album, with each project he worked on extending the magnitude of the artist or work under consideration. In particular, he very much viewed himself as a primary curator of Reed's legacy, and the care and love he felt for his friend's work is evident in every note on I'll Be Your Mirror. Fittingly - and sadly - it is the last album he worked on.
"Few rock groups can claim to have broken so much new territory, and maintain such consistent brilliance on record, as the Velvet Underground during their brief lifespan [...] the Velvets' innovations - which blended the energy of rock with the sonic adventurism of the avant-garde, and introduced a new degree of social realism and sexual kinkiness into rock lyrics - were too abrasive for the mainstream to handle." - Richie Unterberger, AllMusic
- Double LP
- Reflective "mirror" banana art on front cover
- Sunday Morning - Michael Stipe
- I'm Waiting For The Man - Matt Berninger
- Femme Fatale - Sharon Van Etten
- Venus In Furs - Andrew Bird & Lucius
- Run Run Run - Kurt Vile
- All Tomorrow's Parties - St. Vincent & Thomas Bartlett
- Heroin - Thurston Moore feat. Bobby Gillespie
- There She Goes Again - King Princess
- I'll Be Your Mirror - Courtney Barnett
- The Black Angel's Death Song - Fontaines D.C.
- European Son - Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney