Following the sell-out success of the landmark compilation J Jazz: Deep Modern Jazz From Japan 1969-1984, BBE Records is thrilled to present another exploration into the very finest Japanese modern jazz.
J Jazz 2 builds on the solid foundation of the first compilation and sees co-compilers Tony Higgins and Mike Peden once again pick choice sections from their own record collections. They present a deep dive into an intoxicating and beguiling range of styles: from cinematic roaring big-band (Little G by Nobuo Hara) and sparse minimal acoustic funk (Teru Teru Bozo by Teru Sakomoto), to deep spiritual modal epics (Dragon Dance by Makoto Terashita and Harold Land) and funk fusion (Mother of the Future by Electro Keyboard Orchestra). J Jazz 2 delivers more astonishing high quality jazz that will appeal to the old school hard-core jazz head as much as those digging the current sounds of the current vibrant jazz explosion in the UK and USA.
The specially chosen tracks on J Jazz Volume 2 span across 25 years of Japanese musical progression and invention. From the elegiac stark beauty of Serenade To A Dimly Lit Street and the modal vortex of Daguri, to the fierce post-bop freedom of Bull Trout and the mid-tempo bossa lilt of Vietnam, there is enough here to satisfy the most curious and demanding jazz fan seeking something extra special.
- Gatefold jacket
- OBI Strip
- Compiled by Tony Higgins & Mike Peden
- Made in the E.U.
- Makoto Terashita Meets Harold Land - Dragon Dance
- Kohsuke Mine Quintet - Daguri
- Mabumi Yamaguchi Quartet - Distant Thunder
- Hideto Sasaki - Toshiyuki Sekine Quartet +1 - Stop Over
- Miyasaka + 5 - Animals Garden
- George Kawaguchi Big Four - Vietnam
- Hiroshi Matsumoto / Hideo Ichikawa Quartet - Serenade To A Dimly Lit Street
- Electro Keyboard Orchestra - Mother Of The Future
- Teru Sakamoto Trio - Teru-Teru Bozu (Black Keys)
- Toshiyuki Miyama & The New Herd With Masahiko Sato - Fallout
- Makoto Terashita - Dai Hosaku (Great Harvest)
- Takashi Miyasaka Quintet - Straight Road
- Nobuo Hara And Sharps & Flats - Little Giant
- Akira Miyazawa - Brown Trout