BBE Music presents J Jazz Volume 3, the latest in its definitive compilation series exploring the finest modern jazz from Japan. Since the first volume in February 2018, the J Jazz compilation series has showcased some of the most creative, inspired and sought-after jazz recorded in Japan during a golden period spanning the 1960s to the 1980s.
Illustrating the richness and versatility of the composers and musicians on this collection, the music spans a wide yet coherent range of styles: samba, funk fusion, modal, spiritual, post-bop and bossa all combine to present an aural portrait of a jazz scene that was constantly moving and shifting its multiple musical centers of gravity.
Mastered at the Grammy-nominated Carvery studio in London, many of the tracks featured are reissued for the first time, including mega-rare private press cuts from the Yasuhiro Kohno Trio, Masaru Imada Trio, and Hideyasu Terakawa Quartet. There's heavy post modal bop by J Jazz legends Kohsuke Mine and Koichi Matsukaze; samba heat from Tatsuya Nakamura, Hideo Shiraki and Seiichi Nakamura; and funky dance floor energy by Hiroshi Murakami, Ryojiro Furusawa Quartet and Shigeharu Mukai.
Selected albums from which the tracks are drawn will be reissued in full as part of the acclaimed BBE Music J Jazz Masterclass Series. Released as a deluxe, heavyweight x3 vinyl set in a gatefold sleeve with obi strip and insert, the collection comes with extensive artist biographies and track information.
J Jazz is conceived, compiled and annotated by Tony Higgins and Mike Peden for BBE Music.
The third in BBE Music's acclaimed "J Jazz" compilation series. Rare and private press Japanese jazz sounds, never before reissued. Compiled and presented by Tony Higgins and Mike Peden, featuring photogaphy from Philip Arniell (Tokyo Jazz Joints).
On the third release from its ongoing reissue series, the BBE label continues to excavate the hidden wonders of Japan's post-WWII jazz scene.
- Mastered At Carvery Studio, London
- Deluxe, Heavyweight Packaging
- Many Tracks Reissued For 1st Time
- Mega-Rare Press Cuts
- Gatefold Sleeve
- OBI Strip
- Extensive Artist Biographies & Track Information
- Photography From Phillip Arniell (Tokyo Jazz Joints)
- Made in the EU
- Song Of Island - Yasuhiro Kohno Trio + One
- Cumulonimbus - Shigeharu Mukai
- Morning Tide - Kohsuke Mine
- Black Nile - Hideyasu Terakawa Quartet feat. Hiroshi Fujii
- Song For Hope - Aki Takase Trio
- Honey Sanba - Katsuyuki Itakura Trio
- Kirisame - Ryusei Tomoyose Quartet
- Kemo Sabe - Masao Nakajima Quartet
- Phoebus - Hiroshi Murakami & Dancing Sphinx
- Planets - Masaru Imada Trio + 1
- ¼ Samba II - Tatsuya Nakamura
- Cumorah - Eiji Nakayama
- Acoustic Chicken - Koichi Matsukaze Trio feat. Ryojiro Furusawa