2017 Grammy Award:
Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media
Soundtrack To Miles Davis Biopic Featuring 12 tracks performed by Miles Davis and dialogue from the movie. Guest performances by Robert Glasper, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Gary Clark, Jr., Esperanza Spalding and even Don Cheadle!
Columbia/Legacy commemorates the 90th birthday of globally renowned music innovator Miles Davis with the release of two very special new Miles Davis album projects; MILES AHEAD Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and "Everything's Beautiful", reimagined interpretations of Miles Davis' music produced by Grammy winning Robert Glasper.
The Miles Ahead biopic is a cinematic exploration of the life and music of Miles Davis. The film marks the directorial debut of Don Cheadle, who co-wrote the screenplay (with Steven Baigelman) and stars as the legendary musician in the film.
The release of the movie MILES AHEAD, Don Cheadles wildly entertaining and moving exploration of Miles Davis, is accompanied by the soundtrack featuring musical highlights from Miles career and new recordings overseen by Grammy Award-winning jazz/hip-hop artist Robert Glasper.
This is a perfect primer on Davis career for the new fan and a brilliant audio keepsake of the film for those whove studied his works inside and out. The album features 11 tracks from across Miles catalogue from 1956 to 1981, select dialogue from the film featuring Cheadle in character, and five original compositions written, co-written, produced or performed exclusively for MILES AHEAD by Robert Glasper. These cues include Whats Wrong with That? a jam that closes the movie imagining Cheadle as Miles playing in the present day with guest performers Glasper, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Gary Clark, Jr. and Esperanza Spalding; plus Gone 2015, an end-credits song featuring guest verses from rapper Pharoahe Monch. Cheadle also pens new liner notes for the album discussing the selection and creation of the songs on the soundtrack.
Keyon Harrold, a sought out trumpeter/producer/arranger/songwriter who performs with GRAMMY-winning group D'Angelo and The Vanguard, is featured as the trumpet sound of Don Cheadle playing Miles Davis.
1. Miles Ahead
2. Dialogue: "It takes a long time..." (*)
3. So What
4. Taylor Made - Taylor Eigsti
5. Dialogue: "Listen, you talk too goddam much " (*)
6. Solea (excerpt)
7. Seven Steps To Heaven (edit)
8. Dialogue: "If you gonna tell a story "(*)
9. Nefertiti (edit)
10. Frelon Brun
11 Dialogue: "Sometimes you have these thoughts..."(*)
12. Duran (take 6) (edit)
1. Dialogue: "You own my music..."(*)
2. Go Ahead John (part two C)
3. Black Satin (edit)
4. Dialogue: "Be musical about this shit..."(*)
5. Prelude #II
6. Dialogue: "Y'all listening to them...?(*)
7. Junior's Jam Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Marcus Strickland
8. Francessence Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Elena Pinderhughes
9. Back Seat Betty (excerpt)
10. Dialogue: "I don't like the word jazz..." (*)
11. What's Wrong With That? - Don Cheadle, Robert Glasper, Gary Clark, Jr., Herbie Hancock, Keyon Harrold, Antonio Sanchez, Esperanza Spaulding, Wayne Shorter
12. Gone 2015 Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Pharoahe Monch
(*) from the soundtrack of the film, Don Cheadle as Miles Davis
All other tracks performed by Miles Davis, except where noted