Get Carter, the classic 1971 British gangster movie, starred Michael Caine in a career-defining role as a London gangster out for revenge in the grim North. The film was directed by Mike Hodges and set in the derelict urban scenery of Newcastle. It could easily have come with a period glam rock soundtrack, but it sounded so much better with cool jazz. The album features classy, cool, and slightly edgy jazz that evokes the gritty imagery of the film. Get Carter was voted #16 in the "100 Favorite British Films Of The 20th Century" by the British Film Institute and #1 in the Total Film "Greatest British Films Of All Time."
The iconic soundtrack, recorded on a tiny budget, was written by the jazz prodigy Roy Budd. Performed by Budd, in interplay with Jeff Clyne and Chris Karan (both of the Dudley Moore Trio), the score continues to inspire musicians worldwide. The trio carry the emotional weight of the soundtrack which has led to a number of covers and tributes.
The original soundtrack to Get Carter is available as a revised edition, which comes with snippets of dialogue including that classic and sample-inviting line by Caine, "You're a big man but you're in bad shap. For me it's a full-time job. Now behave yourself." The album is available as a limited edition of 1,000 individually numbered copies on purple colored vinyl.
- 180g Audiophile Vinyl
- Snippets of Dialogue from the Film
- Gatefold Sleeve
- PVC Protective Sleeve
- Made in the EU
- Limited edition of 1000 individually numbered copies on Purple Vinyl
- Dialogue "Is There A Mr. Carter In The Room?"
- Main Theme - Carter Takes A Train
- Dialogue "Do You Know A Man Called Albert Swift?"
- Looking For Someone
- Dialogue - The Race Track
- Something On My Mind
- Dialogue "Who Killed Frank?"
- Getting Nowhere In A Hurry
- Dialogue "Tell Me About The Girl"
- The Girl In The Car
- Dialogue "I Fancy You"
- Love Is A Four Letter Word
- Dialogue "You're Lucky. They Kill As Well"
- Livin' Should Be This Way
- Dialogue "All It Takes Is One Call To The Police"
- Dialogue "Drink Up, Eric"
- Goodbye Eric!
- Dialogue "I Want You To Listen Very Carefully"
- Dialogue "You're A Big Man But You're In Bad Shape"
- Dialogue "Stay Away From The Car Or I'll Blow You Apart"
- Goodbye Carter!
- Dialogue "Talk Or I'll Kill You"
- Hallucinations - Instrumental
- Getting Nowhere In A Hurry - Instrumental