Heavyweight Vinyl Import LP!
Sam Cooke's voice had become the dominant force in the gospel sales prior to the release of "You Send Me" and 'Summertime". He was destined to become a major force in pop just as he had been in gospel. While this newly remastered collection of LP releases includes standards and hits that had been associated with artists who came before Sam Cooke, Sam's fresh approach made the repertoire his own and helped shape his own songwriting skills in a very tangible way. Within this period, Sam Cooke defined himself as a voice ahead of his time.
Cooke's 1959 album Tribute To The Lady is just that, a tribute to Billie Holiday, a/k/a 'Lady Day.' This session was recorded in stereo and reimagines Billie Holiday's catalogue as Sam's own.
An album that's seldom been seen and disappeared almost as quickly as it was released. Sam Cooke turned these songs inside out with twisting, awesome interpretations. It was one of the few times he was able to break out of the light pop/teen idol bag in a studio and pour his heart into great lyrics and numbers.
- Heavyweight Vinyl
- Remastered From Original Archives
- Mastering by Joe Yannece
- Tape Transfers by Teri Landi at ABKCO Studio & Rick Essig at Master Cutting Room
- Lacquers cut by Carl Rowatti, Trutone Mastering
- Original track-listings and artwork
- Made in the EU
- God Bless The Child
- She's Funny That Way
- I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues
- Good Morning Heartache
- T'aint Nobody's Business (If I Do)
- Comes Love
- Lover Girl (Man)
- Let's Call The Whole Thing Off
- Lover Come Back To Me
- They Can't Take That Away From Me
- Crazy She Calls Me