Classical Meets Pop On Jazz Import SACD!
This trio session includes classical works and pieces adapted into pop songs decades ago. Bassist Dave Finck and Billy Drummond accompany Steve Kuhn.
"Kuhn's driving, boppish treatments of 'Till the End of Time' (based upon Chopin's Polonaise No. 53) and 'Stranger in Paradise' (taken from Borodin's Plovetzian Dance) sizzle with energy. His vibrant waltz setting of Erik Satie's 'Gymnopedie No.' 1 is far removed from the Impressionist composer's minimalist conception, with Finck's arco bass solo adding an interesting touch. Borodin's 'Baubles, Bangles and Beads' was a favorite of baritone saxophonist Gerry Mulligan during the 1950s; the trio's introspective approach works equally well. While classical listeners who are unfamiliar with jazz may have reservations, jazz fans will savor these outstanding performances." Ken Dryden, allmusic.com
Super Audio CD
SACD Stereo SACD Layer
This Single-Layer SACD can only be played on a Super Audio CD Player! It will NOT play on conventional CD Players!
Made in Japan
Steve Kuhn, piano
Dave Finck, bass
Billy Drummond, drums
1. And This Is My Beloved - Nocturne From "Strings Quartet No. 2" (Alexander Borodin 1833-1887)
2. Till The End Of Time - Polonaise No. 53 (Frederic Chopin 1810-1849)
3. Symphony No. 3, 3rd Movement (Joannes Brahms 1833 -1897)
4. If You Are But A Dream - Romance (Arthur Rubinstein 1887-1982)
5. Stranger In Paradise - Plovetzian Dance (Alexander Borodin)
6. Gymnopedie No. 1 (Eric Satie 1866 - 1925)
7. I Think Of You - Piano Concerto No. 2, 1st Movement Op. 18 (Sergei Rachmaninoff 1873 - 1943)
8. Prelude In A C Minor No. 20, Op 28 (Frederick Chopin)
9. I Look At Heaven - Piano Concerto In A Minor Op6, 1st Movement (Edvard Grief 1843 - 1907)
10. Baubles, Bangles And Beads - Strings Quartet No. 2 In D (Alexander Borodin)
11. Vilia - From "The Merry Widow" (Franz Lehar 1870 - 1948)
12. Prelude No. 7, Op 28 (Frederick Chopin)