The Songs of Surrender 4LP Super Deluxe Collector's Box Set features 40 new acoustic and reimagined recordings from the U2 catalog, produced and compiled by The Edge and arranged into individual band member volumes. This collector's edition includes "With Or Without You," "Beautiful Day," "Where The Streets Have No Name," "One," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and "Pride (In The Name Of Love)," alongside fan favorites such as "Stories For Boys," "Bad," and "Desire."
"Music allows you to time travel," explained The Edge, "And we became curious to find out what it would be like to bring our early songs back with us to the present day and give them the benefit, or otherwise, of a 21st century reimagining.
"What started out as an experiment quickly developed into a personal obsession as so many of our songs yielded to a new interpretation. Intimacy replaced post punk urgency. New tempos, new keys, and in some cases new chords and new lyrics arrived. A great song, it turns out is kind of indestructible.
"The process of selecting which songs to revisit started with a series of demos. I looked at how a song would hang together if all but the bare essential elements were taken away. The other main aim was to find ways to bring intimacy into the songs, as most of them were originally written with live concert performance in mind.
"Reviewing these sketch recordings with producer Bob Ezrin, it was very easy to see the ones that worked straight off the bat and those that needed more work. We all got into the sensibility of less is more."
The 40 newly recorded tracks are collected together under each of the four band member names across four separate 'albums'.
The Edge adds, "Hearing the songs interact, and finding the running orders for the four albums was really thrilling; finding the surprising segues, getting a chance to DJ. Once we had four distinct albums it was easy to see who would be the figurehead for each one."
U2 have sold over 175 million albums, won 22 Grammy awards, and released 14 studio albums.
Pressed on 180-gram vinyl and housed in a stunning mat laminated slipcase with bespoke debossing, this limited and numbered box set includes new lyrics by Bono, exclusive photos by Anton Corbijn and liner notes from The Edge.
- Numbered, Limited Edition
- Super Deluxe Collector's Box Set
- 180g Vinyl
- 40 Acoustic & Reimagined Recordings from the U2 Catalog
- Curated & Produced by The Edge
- Stunning Mat Laminated Rigid Slipcase with Bespoke Debossing
- 4 x Unique Individual Band Member Vinyl Sleeves & Booklets
- New Lyrics by Bono
- Exclusive Photos by Anton Corbijn
- Liner Notes by The Edge
- Dimensions: 316mm wide x 314mm high x 21mm
- Made in Germany
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- Stories For Boys
- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
- Out Of Control
- Beautiful Day
- Every Breaking Wave
- Walk On (Ukraine)
- Pride (In The Name Of Love)
- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
- Get Out Of Your Own Way
- Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
- Red Hill Mining Town
- Ordinary Love
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- Dirty Day
- The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
- City Of Blinding Lights
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- Electrical Storm
- The Fly
- If God Will Send His Angels
- Until The End Of The World
- Song For Someone
- All I Want Is You
- Peace On Earth
- With Or Without You
- Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Lights Of Home
- Cedarwood Road
- I Will Follow
- Two Hearts Beat As One
- Miracle Drug
- The Little Things That Give You Away